REI Anniversary Sale Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1world1love

SILVER Star
Threads
I have started these in years past and once again wanted to see what everyone is buying this year to add to their gear collection. What are some things you are interested in? Any hidden gems or unconventional items of interest?

If I were in the market, the North Face Wawona 6 is on sale for $350 - That is a fantastic tent for that price.

Other things of note are Dometic stuff is on sale - https://www.rei.com/b/dometic/f/scd-deals

Any others?

Yakima and Thule products are on sale as well.

Moosejaw and Backcountry tend to have similar sales around REI's.

Moosejaw also does a 50% back in reward dollars every Cyber Monday. One of the better sales for outdoor gear.

Moosejaw and Backcountry tend to have similar sales around REI's.

Moosejaw also does a 50% back in reward dollars every Cyber Monday. One of the better sales for outdoor gear.

That’s a good call. Many of the manufacturers also run competing sales at the same time. I can think of goal zero and dometic off the top of my head.

A few other interesting buys:

Zoleo for $150 - https://www.rei.com/product/194833/zoleo-satellite-communicator

Although it's not on sale, you could use the 20% coupon for a WeBoost which would take $100 off. I can't find it anywhere close to that elsewehere - https://www.rei.com/product/225806/weboost-drive-reach-overland-cell-signal-booster
So much for the discount on the weboost. REI shows that it is currently unavailable. I wonder if anyone was able to get the discount.

Booooo on REI, but here is a list that contains all of the motorized recreational groups they supported in 2020 in case you’re curious about where your co-op money is going.

What kinda gear are you looking for? Maybe we could put our heads together and find something suitable from a company that is more supportive of our community?

I am not sure I understand your post. Are you booing REI because they sold out of Weboost? Because the issue is not that they wouldn't discount it. Its that they are incredibly popular and they sold out. Or if you are booing REI because they don't support vehicular recreation, I don't think that is true. There are quite a few grantees on the list that advocate for all kinds of recreation.

But maybe I am totally not understanding your post. If so, apologies.

I am not sure I understand your post. Are you booing REI because they sold out of Weboost? Because the issue is not that they wouldn't discount it. Its that they are incredibly popular and they sold out. Or if you are booing REI because they don't support vehicular recreation, I don't think that is true. There are quite a few grantees on the list that advocate for all kinds of recreation.

But maybe I am totally not understanding your post. If so, apologies.

I deleted it. Was calling out REI out for supporting loads of anti motorized groups, but realized it would derail the thread…. Proceed.

I deleted it. Was calling out REI out for supporting loads of anti motorized groups, but realized it would derail the thread…. Proceed.
Thanks.

I have been wanting to buy a set of general use binos for some time, and have been considering the Nikon Monarch M7. The 20% off would make them compelling, but that's still a lot of $ to spend on something I wouldn't use all the time (but I am a believer in the buy once, cry once philosophy). Plus still made in China.

Thoughts?

I have been wanting to buy a set of general use binos for some time, and have been considering the Nikon Monarch M7. The 20% off would make them compelling, but that's still a lot of $ to spend on something I wouldn't use all the time (but I am a believer in the buy once, cry once philosophy). Plus still made in China.

Thoughts?
The right binos make great compact telescopes, for the record. I have some relatively cheap 10x50s that depending on time of year and light pollution I can see a bunch of Jupiter's moons with, *possibly* see the fact that saturn isn't perfectly round, the moon is incredible..

They aren't the tiniest things but they usually come along on my trips. At times useful for alpine animal spotting, etc.

Thoughts?
I have those in my shopping cart right now. I just have to check with the household CFO to make sure there’s nothing better in her cart

Thoughts?
Getting a bit OT but having parents who were avid bird watchers (including several rare sightings) check out Zeiss. They can be expensive but once in a while B&H Photo has good deals. And made in Wetzlar, Germany.

Thoughts?
Probably off the thread topic, and maybe not popular for every type of use but I tried a set of Canon IS binoculars a long time ago, and finally broke down and bought a pair last year. Don’t use them a ton but they seem so effective for viewing wildlife in our neck of the woods.

The right binos make great compact telescopes, for the record. I have some relatively cheap 10x50s that depending on time of year and light pollution I can see a bunch of Jupiter's moons with, *possibly* see the fact that saturn isn't perfectly round, the moon is incredible..

They aren't the tiniest things but they usually come along on my trips. At times useful for alpine animal spotting, etc.
I have those in my shopping cart right now. I just have to check with the household CFO to make sure there’s nothing better in her cart
Getting a bit OT but having parents who were avid bird watchers (including several rare sightings) check out Zeiss. They can be expensive but once in a while B&H Photo has good deals. And made in Wetzlar, Germany.
Probably off the thread topic, and maybe not popular for every type of use but I tried a set of Canon IS binoculars a long time ago, and finally broke down and bought a pair last year. Don’t use them a ton but they seem so effective for viewing wildlife in our neck of the woods.

Thanks for the input. Decided to try the Meopta Optika HD 8x42. On sale for $299 at B&H. I would probably prefer the 10x42 in general but the FOV isn't very good and there's a pretty good jump in price on the Optika HD 10x42..

On the subject of good value binoculars, a buddy of mine who is an avid birder turned me onto these. They are a very good value at $125.
Amazon product ASIN B00B73JONS

Best value in optics are Vortex or Maven. Both are great companies who do some of their manufacturing in the US. Both have incredible warranties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom