Regearing with 285/75/16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi There

I guess many on this forum run 285 75 16 ( 32.8") on LC 100 with no lift.

I am running 285 75 16 as well ( BFG AT KO).

I beleive the stock gears on LC 100 are 4.3. Axle code A04B.

- If i regear will the power gain in uphill roads worth it ?
I do feel in uphil i have to kick down at times to get moving. These tyres have been there for a while so can t recall the behavior when it was stock.

- Crawl ratio ?

Pls advise

Jay

I assume you have a 98-02. Pretty sure 03+ with the 5 speed tranny are 4.1 ratio.
I'm running 295/75R16 on my 05 with factory gearing. Regearing is pretty far down my wish list of mods.

I regeared to 4.88's on my 99 LC with 285/75/16. Rpm's were high cruising @70mph on the highway. Basically, it was as if I had overdrive turned off. I upgraded to 34's and it is much better.

I assume you have a 98-02. Pretty sure 03+ with the 5 speed tranny are 4.1 ratio.
I'm running 295/75R16 on my 05 with factory gearing. Regearing is pretty far down my wish list of mods.

I have a 99 LC 100.

If i am sticking to 285/75/16 regearing worth it ?

Jay

I'm running 285/75r16 without regearing. Fuel economy definitely is worse and I live at sea level in a relatively hilly area...and power is definitely reduced. I use Power ECT mapping 100% of the time. The only time it really seems slow is when shifting into 2nd gear after a 'lazy' 1st gear acceleration then needing to go faster, quicker.

a 5 speed auto would be so much nicer in a 99...with 4.30 gears.

If I re-gear I'll also jump up to 295/75r16 tires.

I regeared to 4.88's on my 99 LC with 285/75/16. Rpm's were high cruising @70mph on the highway. Basically, it was as if I had overdrive turned off. I upgraded to 34's and it is much better.

Did you use a speedo corrector? What's your RPMs @ 70MPH? I regeared to 4:88 also and I am thinking I need larger tires too.I currently run 305/65/18 (33.4), I am thinking larger tires will get me closer to spec. Currently speedo shows 70 MPH and I'm really doing 66 MPH. it was the opposite before regearing.

Did you use a speedo corrector? What's your RPMs @ 70MPH? I regeared to 4:88 also and I am thinking I need larger tires too.I currently run 305/65/18 (33.4), I am thinking larger tires will get me closer to spec. Currently speedo shows 70 MPH and I'm really doing 66 MPH. it was the opposite before regearing.
Yep, I recalibrated using the yellow box.

Jay where are you located? If you drive a lot of mountains, then that would lean you more towards regearing. I know a few who have done this (4.88 and 285's) and with a lot of mountain passes (Colorado) it's been a good mod. But if you are out cruising the flat lands, then likely not worth the trouble.

Jay where are you located? If you drive a lot of mountains, then that would lean you more towards regearing. I know a few who have done this (4.88 and 285's) and with a lot of mountain passes (Colorado) it's been a good mod. But if you are out cruising the flat lands, then likely not worth the trouble.

Well I do have occasional hill drives . With 285 75 16 am I loosing at least 15% power ?
Stock gears are 4.1 ?

I also drive an FJ cruiser ( V6 4.0) on stock tyre size. It seems much faster than my 1999 LC 100 ( V8 4.7 L).

Pls advise.

Jay

Well I do have occasional hill drives . With 285 75 16 am I loosing at least 15% power ?
Stock gears are 4.1 ?

I also drive an FJ cruiser ( V6 4.0) on stock tyre size. It seems much faster than my 1999 LC 100 ( V8 4.7 L).

Pls advise.

Jay
I have decided to pull her triggers on 4.88. Gears and lockers are on order. The deciding factor for me was I do tow a camper and I have 286 75 16. I will tire up on the next set if it needs it, but not planning on

Any idea on power loss and gas mileage loss compared to stock Tyres when going 285 75 16 ?

When I took this LC 100 from my brother it was already on 285 75 16 so i have no way to compare to stock.

Compared to an FJ cruiser shouldn't the LC 100 be faster and have more pick up ?

You will likely gain 1mpg city driving and lose 1mpg hwy >75mph. I ran 285's on 4.88's for about a month before i upgraded to 34's

Had I known I was going to regear, I would have went with 34's. As far as power loss from stock; to be honest it is only slightly noticeable. As said before use the extra power button and OD off around hills. The only time it sucks with stock gears is in Colorado. If I wasn't going to tow I would not regear. I plan to tow from state to state including in the mountains. Regearing should help the tranny in the long run.

I'm not going to regear at all but am seeking the lower cruising RPMs on semi level freeway speeds near 65-75mph.

I'm on stock sized Michelins now and am looking at 285s of some sort soon.

Had I known I was going to regear, I would have went with 34's. As far as power loss from stock; to be honest it is only slightly noticeable. As said before use the extra power button and OD off around hills. The only time it sucks with stock gears is in Colorado. If I wasn't going to tow I would not regear. I plan to tow from state to state including in the mountains. Regearing should help the tranny in the long run.

So where i am overseas in Lebanon we do have uphill driving occasionally.

Stock tyre size would be around 265 75 16 if i recall so 1.2" less than 285 75 16.

Would ot be like a 10% power loss without regearing ?

I ll try the hills with OD off and ECT mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom