? Regarding FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I didn't know where else to post this question, so I'm posting it here. I am looking at buying a 67 FJ40 with a newly rebuilt 1979 Camaro 350 engine. The owner also has put in disc brakes, power steering and an auto tranny. Cosmetically the body is in great shape (no dents, no rust, needs new paint), the frame also appears in great shape. The hard top is also on the car. Other add-ons that it would need are AC, stereo, winch, etc. Overall, the car is about 85% complete. The guy is asking $5,000. Is this a good price, too high, too low? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Questions are kinda Useless without pics here cause what we may know as a good condition VS what the pictures tell may be something completely different...AC ans sterio are only important on a DD and for that matter...screw AC drop-the-top...i would offer him 3500 or so see what he says

$5000 is what you pay for a cruiser that is 100% complete. 85% ... what's missing/not done?

Projekt what does DD stand for? Sorry, new to this.

The car is in south Louisiana. Sorry I don't have any pictures, I just went and looked at the car real quick and didn't bring my camera.

What needs to be done...new paint, gauges need to be put in, fan shroud, windshield wiper blades need to be added, all add-ons (winch, grill guard, KC lights, etc.), and I think that was about all.

I'm sorry I cannot provide much more information, I was just trying to get an idea on what people paid for 40's in various stages of restoration. I've seen fully restored going for over $20,000, as high as $35,000.

I really appreciate all of your help.

DD= Daily Driver.

If this truck is spotless, it might be worth 5K to someone in the shape you are talking about....but not me.

Projects procured not completed typically will require more re-work than you think...

As has been stated, no pics, no real ###'s....

What is clean and complete to you, could be a turd to someone that has been around these a long time.

Good luck!

-Steve

DD is Daily Driver.

I agree with Rice and say 5k is for a 100% done 40...

Pictures are real important for the folks around here more knowledgable than myself to judge the value of a cruiser. There's a lot of little things that can be picked up on by the trained eye that you might not notice and the the owner might not want you to notice.... And I'm posotive, no matter how "complete" it is, you're going to have a lot of expenses to get through just getting this thing fully operational before you even start worrying about a winch, let alone pointless cosmetic ish like brush gaurds and kc lights.... so don't get too concerned with that just yet....

Oh yea, and welcome to MUD :flipoff2:

Here's an idea. Take a look at ebay and you'll see various rigs for different prices. It's usually a good indicator of value, not in all cases, but at least give you an idea.

I wouldn't consider a winch and lights etc to make a rig complete because where does it stop, lockers, suspension etc? 5k is good to me for a decent running rig with little mechanical probs and with all the mods you stated.

As others have stated it's hard to tell without at least some pics. Basically a rust free body and all the other things you mentioned I'd think that 5k is great. Just my opinion though. My first one was a beater with all kinds of mechanical and engine probs that I managed to struggle through, it also had it's share of PO (previous owner) chop jobs on the body and some bondo and plenty o rust. It was my first and I payed $3500 for it and at the time I was stoked. Still don't think it was that bad of a deal, but those things would keep me from buying one like that again.

The one I got now I payed over twice that but IMO it's worth that and could have sold for about 3 times that. Just got lucky.

Go with the gut, do some research (ebay, autotrader, craigslist), and 5k is a decent price for a decent cruiser. There ya have it. Welcome to MUD. :beer:

I agree with Hawk... Wait till you find the one that's just right. I had to wait 3 years until I finally found one that was right for me. It need a lot of work, but it was only $1,500. Very very very good deal for what it was. Have patience and don't buy impulsively, you'll probably regret it later when you find one that's selling for $2000 and in the same condition

Check the for sale section here. Ofterntimes you can find rigs on here that have had alot done on them with reasonable pricing. Also informed, educated previous owners that know the nuances of them make for better rigs to buy.

HawkDriver said:
Whatchu talkin bout? :confused:

I dont know it seems like he might want to consider a newer cruiser if he is gonna want air conditioning and other luxerys.... and he said he wants AC, stereo, winch,... I think he could find a nice cruiser with everything hes looking for for 5 K ... but hey i probly dont know what im talking about... anyway all cruisers kick aS$ and have all their advantages.... :beer: :beer:

Good luck

Blake

If the owner says 85% complete don't believe it, If they say a weekends worth of work to get back on the road do not believe it. I know i traded for a FJ semi complete, i got a good trade so i still think it was worth it but for what you can buy for 5k why buy one that you think is 85% complete.

McClaskey said:
...but hey i probly dont know what im talking about... Blake

Spot on.

Please find me a 40 series in good condition with A/C for 5K....I will take three :)

Good luck!

-Steve

HELLO! Did everyone else miss this: the rig is in south LOUISIANA!

RUN FORREST, RUN!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :barf:

GOOD CALL MARK!

:beer::beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom