Refurbished Fuel Injectors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClassyJalopy

Congenitally insane nor irretrievably stupid...
SILVER Star
Threads
I am considering replacing fuel injectors on my 265k miles LX.
Why you ask? my fuel economy has been consistently around 12 mpg on highway. From time to time it also throws P01710 code. And finally, my catalytic converters get super hot, so much so that they start burning up passenger and driver feet.

I have checked all the vacuum lines, replaced vent hoses and the pcv. Replaced MAF and cleaned throttle body. Replaced spark plugs, coils etc. etc.

So the real question: are any of the eBay refurbished injectors worth considering? A few vendors are selling refurbished OEM Denso units that are claimed to be serviced, flow balanced and have new seals installed. Anyone has any experience with these?

One example:

I am considering replacing fuel injectors on my 265k miles LX.
Why you ask? my fuel economy has been consistently around 12 mpg on highway. From time to time it also throws P01710 code. And finally, my catalytic converters get super hot, so much so that they start burning up passenger and driver feet.

I have checked all the vacuum lines, replaced vent hoses and the pcv. Replaced MAF and cleaned throttle body. Replaced spark plugs, coils etc. etc.

So the real question: are any of the eBay refurbished injectors worth considering? A few vendors are selling refurbished OEM Denso units that are claimed to be serviced, flow balanced and have new seals installed. Anyone has any experience with these?

One example:

Yes. I have a very bad experience to report with counterfeit injectors from Amazon. I see the same counterfeits being sold on eBay. Lookout. It a deal is too good to be true, it probably it. Now, this was on a Toyota 5VZ after less than 1000 miles. The injector pintle caps literally started to melt from regular engine heat. I kept smelling fuel from around the engine compartment. The new counterfeit injectors were melting and fuel was being sprayed in the intake manifold.

The counterfeits look like originals except for a few small details that a regular person would not pick up on.

If you have healthy injectors, I would get them serviced that includes (cleaning, o-rings, screens, and pintle caps). There is nothing magic or difficult about servicing injectors. I often do my own, then send them out for cleaning and flow testing afterward for $7 each.

BRB with some horror pictures.

Horror Pictures. New OEM (counterfeit) injectors from Amazon.

The pintle caps started melting and became deformed.

One had actually melted into the intake manifold. I had to pick it out and use tiny vacuum to suction parts of it out of the intake mainfold.

This was after less than 1,000 miles.

I'm lucky the whole thing didn't go up in flames.

Also note, if an injector servicer does not use quality components, more problems to start later on.

1599935398054.png

Fuel leaking on the intake manifold.

1599935671366.png

Pintle cap after it melted into the intake manifold. This was a real pain to get out.

1599935791948.png

Pictures of counterfeit injectors.

1599936119868.png

1599936201850.png

Last edited:
I would get my old injectors serviced by a company that I trust before I would buy any injectors new or used from eBay or Amazon. With Amazon, you can easily return the injectors if they appear to be counterfeit. How to spot counterfeit injectors?

Genuine Denso/Aisan injectors come with a 3 or 4 character etched quality lot number that is etched into the injector body.

These quality codes are also found on Denso ignition coils.

1599936673108.png

Here's another genuine injector with the quality lot number stamped into the injector body. Once you get the knack of looking for the quality lot numbers on parts, you can reduce the risk of being burned by counterfeits.

1599937098940.png

Counterfeits will not have the quality lot number code etched or stamped into the part body.

Here's a counterfeit example below.

1599936817571.png

I will be soon looking to make a decision about getting my injectors serviced or replaced just as a matter of course.

The going price for a quality injector service job ranges from $25 to $30 each. The company should provide new screens, o-rings, pintle caps, and provide a flow testing report.

I need to decide in the next few months if I will get my existing injectors serviced or to buy new ones. I need to do more research in this area for a 2UZ.

Are you convinced your injectors are bad because the truck is running rich? There could be other problems at play.

Just ordered a set from dirty deeds in San Diego. 370 after shipping to Hawaii. Said they were flow matched and 12 hole. Gunna give the 12 hole a try.

If looking to buy new Denso injectors, I would be looking for some quality lot numbers in these areas.

If the quality lot number codes are not there, the injectors are most likely counterfeits from China.

1599938725140.png

And this area.

1599938804987.png

Just ordered a set from dirty deeds in San Diego. 370 after shipping to Hawaii. Said they were flow matched and 12 hole. Gunna give the 12 hole a try.

Ohh here we go! I'm not convinced that the 12 hole increases performance, I imagine they do have cleaner emissions though and that's a good enough reason for me.
I'm actually looking at ordering a set for my former 2000 Tundra (now owned by a friend). Was DD able to ship immediately?

The going price for a quality injector service job ranges from $25 to $30 each. The company should provide new screens, o-rings, pintle caps, and provide a flow testing report.

I need to decide in the next few months if I will get my existing injectors serviced or to buy new ones. I need to do more research in this area for a 2UZ.
I had all of my original injectors serviced at 200k miles by FIS in Colorado, which is the same outfit that @2001LC uses, for $130 total. That included testing, cleaning, new filters, and new Toyota o-rings, etc.

Ohh here we go! I'm not convinced that the 12 hole increases performance, I imagine they do have cleaner emissions though and that's a good enough reason for me.
I'm actually looking at ordering a set for my former 2000 Tundra (now owned by a friend). Was DD able to ship immediately?
Empirical evidence indicates the 12 hole injectors provide no benefit. 12 Hole Injector Upgrade - Finally Tested

I had all of my original injectors serviced at 200k miles by FIS in Colorado, which is the same outfit that @2001LC uses, for $130 total. That included testing, cleaning, new filters, and new Toyota o-rings, etc.

Empirical evidence indicates the 12 hole injectors provide no benefit. 12 Hole Injector Upgrade - Finally Tested

Good to know about FIS in CO. That's a good price for 8 injectors. I don't think I would mess with doing my own for that price.

If anyone is closer to AR there is a great local shop called Arkansas Fuel Injection that rebuilds and flow tests injectors for all petrol/diesel engines

If anyone is closer to AR there is a great local shop called Arkansas Fuel Injection that rebuilds and flow tests injectors for all petrol/diesel engines

I talked to them one time on the phone. They know what they are doing. They list Denso as a brand.

I have decent experience around dynos and understand how fuel burns, the 12 hole injectors just seem to make sense as far as atomizing fuel which will create a better burn.
So I’m giving them a shot. Anything else is extra.
DD WAS displaced for fires but Keith called me and told me it will be a few days. As soon as they got back to their shop yesterday I had a tracking number. So I’d say yes ship immediately.
I liked how they updated me a couple of times on their fire displace status. So far impressed with customer service

Jeff

Reactions: GTV
I have decent experience around dynos and understand how fuel burns, the 12 hole injectors just seem to make sense as far as atomizing fuel which will create a better burn.
So I’m giving them a shot. Anything else is extra.
DD WAS displaced for fires but Keith called me and told me it will be a few days. As soon as they got back to their shop yesterday I had a tracking number. So I’d say yes ship immediately.
I liked how they updated me a couple of times on their fire displace status. So far impressed with customer service

Jeff
Again, see thread I linked. Dyno etc. showed no benefit of 12-hole injectors over the factory 4-holes... 👇🏽

Again, see thread I linked. Dyno etc. showed no benefit of 12-hole injectors over the factory 4-holes... 👇🏽

Sure. I think it has more to do with emissions than anything and that's still an upgrade in my book. Toyota/Denso wouldn't have created them for no reason.

Sure. I think it has more to do with emissions than anything and that's still an upgrade in my book. Toyota/Denso wouldn't have created them for no reason.
I’d bet the emissions difference is negligible, if it even exists.

this can of worms has already been opened......in that thread. just read it next time you are on the can.

I have the 12 holes and like them. Keith had them in stock. Rock Auto did not. The price was reasonable as well. Of course the truck ran better. The injectors I replaced had 280,000 miles on them. I understand they may not be better, but Dirty Deeds was good to deal with and shipped quickly. No complaints.

Reactions: GTV
Then why would they exist?
No idea. Science says 12 holes is ineffective, and may actually result in even worse emissions. Most studies indicate 4-8 holes are optimal for emissions, with little to no (negligible) improvement beyond 8 holes. From Lee et al. (2010; International Journal of Automotive Technology, 11: 783-791), “The results show that increasing the number of holes significantly influences evaporation, atomization, and combustion. However, when the number of holes exceeds a certain threshold (>8 holes), there is an adverse effect on combustion and emissions due to a lack of the air entrainment required for the achievement of a stoichiometric mixture.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom