Refurbished Fuel Injectors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Checked all the intake bolts and found them already snug. Next, both banks O2 sensors are pretty snug and the plugs are firmly connected with no visible issues with the harness.

Since I don't think it'll be advisable to start pulling fuel rails, abt 1000 miles from home, so I thought I'd pull the spark plugs and see if I find any cause of misfires. Lo and behold, 2 plugs on bank 2 and 1 plug on bank 1 were barely threaded on! :oops:

All three plugs had oil on their threads and the electrodes are covered in whitish residue. Thankfully coils and boots appear free of defects. I am now getting all new denso plugs and torquing them down. Hopefully this will improve the misfire situation.

Once I get home, I will pull the injectors and get the refirbished.

Drove abt 200 miles today. The misfire and the low power issue below 2000 RPM is fixed! So it must have been due to the loose spark plugs. The truck is so much more responsive and confident inspiring to drive.

The CEL is back on (same p01710 code) and the fuel trims are as whacky as before :(
At least it drives like a cruiser again!

If looking to buy new Denso injectors, I would be looking for some quality lot numbers in these areas.

If the quality lot number codes are not there, the injectors are most likely counterfeits from China.

View attachment 2433500

And this area.

View attachment 2433502
While I was repairing the fuel system on my UZJ 100, I decided to buy a set of 8 remanufactured fuel injectors on ebay by an australian vendor. But after installing them on my vehicle, a problem arose: idle speed was erratic and no DTCs were showed by Techstream. So my mechanic decided to remove them and he took these photos.
The fuel injectors are counterfeit. They are not genuine parts but they come from China. In fact, on both sides, there are not quality lot numbers but only toyota parts number and Denso brand printed.
In the end, I had to order a set of genuine Toyota Denso injectors on Partsouq.
20210102_182157.jpg

20210102_181520.jpg

While I was repairing the fuel system on my UZJ 100, I decided to buy a set of 8 remanufactured fuel injectors on ebay by an australian vendor. But after installing them on my vehicle, a problem arose: idle speed was erratic and no DTCs were showed by Techstream. So my mechanic decided to remove them and he took these photos.
The fuel injectors are counterfeit. They are not genuine parts but they come from China. In fact, on both sides, there are not quality lot numbers but only toyota parts number and Denso brand printed.
In the end, I had to order a set of genuine Toyota Denso injectors on Partsouq.View attachment 2542050

View attachment 2542049

One note: There is NO such thing as a 'remanufactured" fuel injector. The internals are sealed and NON-Serviceable. The ONLY things that can be done to them is to clean them, replace the filter screens, pintles and seals. They can be 'flow tested' for performance and 'matching' but they can't be rebuilt. Any advertising to the contrary is purposely misleading.

Obviously, but I would have aspected that the vendor had sold an used but genuine part, at least....

In the end, I had to order a set of genuine Toyota Denso injectors on Partsouq.View attachment 2542050

View attachment 2542049

Thank you for sharing the pictures. Unfortunately, those injectors are screaming counterfeit. It takes a while to develop a keen eye for the appropriate quality and testing lot codes.

An observation that I have noticed from another Toyota truck forum, there are dishonest sellers that indicate they are selling remanufactured injectors that are actually New Counterfeit Injectors from China. That is the worst of all products to purchase.

Once you get into injector internals, there is no way that an injector can be remanufactured. The injector coil (that part that creates the pulse) is a sealed unit inside the injector body. When a coil is worn out, the injector is finished.

Injectors can be "serviced" which means the injector has been cleaned, new screens, o-rings, and pintle caps (as designed), and flow tested.

I try to avoid doing business with an injector servicer that advertises injector rebuilding services. Maybe there are some super expensive all-metal diesel injectors that can be rebuilt. But definitely not the plastic body injectors we use on our Toyota gasoline engines.

You are lucky the counterfeit injectors did not do any damage to your rig.

My counterfeit experience resulted in the injectors becoming deformed from heat and allowed fuel to be sprayed on the intake manifold.

I was lucky the whole truck did not go up in flames.

One note: There is NO such thing as a 'remanufactured" fuel injector. The internals are sealed and NON-Serviceable. The ONLY things that can be done to them is to clean them, replace the filter screens, pintles and seals. They can be 'flow tested' for performance and 'matching' but they can't be rebuilt. Any advertising to the contrary is purposely misleading.
^^^ This. We were typing the same message at the same time.

Obviously, but I would have aspected that the vendor had sold an used but genuine part, at least....

Hard to know if the Vendor was even aware. Some of the Chinese 'fakes' are pretty good and some (perhaps many) vendors sell the products 3rd hand (drop ship) and have never laid eyes or hands on them.

One reason that I try to avoid running injectors that are a "quarter of a century" old is the plastic body when exposed to enough heat cycles, sometimes will crack up and disintegrate. This is an original injector from one owner 1995 Tacoma that was replaced last year.

It's just one of the things that will happen to plastic over time.

1609600436399.png

Last edited:
Today my mechanic has removed all injectors that I bought on ebay by an australian seller and he checked Ohms via a multimeter and verified that all of them had a resistance of about 12 Ohms.
Other than they are chinese counterfeit products, they did not work fine.
At the end , 8 new genuine Toyota Denso fuel injectors were installed on my LC.

I owe an update to this thread. I finally got new intake gaskets and fuel injector o-rings, grommets and seals and spent a couple of hours of quality time hunched of over the engine in a windy 10 deg day! The lower intake gasket on bank 1 was actually split in two and installed upside down! :doh:
The injector grommets were also hardened like plastic but the o-ring seals were still fine.

For the intake gasket, I am blaming the shop that replaced the starter for me, about 2 years ago. My brother had borrowed my truck and was 700 miles from home when the starter let go. Fortunately, I had a Denso unit in the truck but had to pay through the nose to a local shop to install it and that's what I got! :bang:

Long story short, this basically took care of the P01710 code. The fuel trims have returned to normal as well. Here is a screenshot at about 60% engine load (per OBD-II reader):
Screenshot_20210207-155900.jpg

Thanks everyone for talking me off the ledge of buying fuel injectors from an online seller!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom