Redoing DS Knuckle - Ring on Axle is Really Dug In - Best Solution? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I got the axle off with the PVC pipe method without too much trouble. Upon inspecting the ring, it's really dug in. So much so that the two points of the C stick out pretty far past the splines. I was told by someone the other day who redid his knuckle that his mistake was not pushing this C ring further in as it's the C ring which creates the groove in the first place and felt like that was the reason he got some gear oil in his knuckle. I read a thread right now that discussed if the ring is too dug in, it's better to utilize a "tack"...but, I have no idea what that means. Am I okay if I put the C ring offset to the original groove? If so, which direction and how far from the original groove should I go? There's not too much room towards the outer part of the axle, maybe a half inch.

Or, is there another method I should go with entirely? Do I need a new axle?

Thanks! & Merry Xmas!

Hey just an FYI to anyone who reads this.

I have read a number of times on here that people are using a PVC pipe for this.

I worked with PVC pipe for well over 20yrs.

You should not be using PVC to do this job! I am not kidding! When it shatters it is as sharp or sharper than broken glass. The lower the grade of PVC, the older it is, the more sun baked or the colder it is and the more brittle it becomes. I have had it slice me to the bone, it’s no joke.

Oh ya and if you burn it, it puts off chlorine gas which will kill ya right quick!

Leave the PVC for your sprinkler system and use galvanized pipe or any old piece of junk steel pipe for this job.

Merry Christmas.

:)

Cheers

I have read a number of times on here that people are using a PVC pipe for this.

You should not be using PVC to do this job! I am not kidding! When it shatters it is as sharp or sharper than broken glass. The lower the grade of PVC, the older it is, the more sun baked or the colder it is and the more brittle it becomes. I have had it slice me to the bone, it’s no joke.

Oh ya and if you burn it, it puts off chlorine gas which will kill ya right quick!

Leave the PVC for your sprinkler system and use galvanized pipe or any old piece of junk steel pipe for this job.

Merry Christmas.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice, at least it's brand new without sun wear...have that going for me.

Merry Christmas.

Cheers

Agree with this. No way I'd use pvc in this scenario

For sure...

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

New to this all, so I suppose it is the way it's supposed to be, but seems like it's worn into the axle groove quite a bit. The first and last show how when you push down on it, the other ends of the ring stick out, and the second shows how it's below the splines.

Looks mostly normal, but maybe a bit stretched by pulling it apart.
A replacement birf would usually come with a replacement c-clip.

I use a zip tie wrapped around the c-clip, and pulled tight to compress the c-clip into the groove to help reassembly.
To reassemble, zip tie the c-clip, put the axle into the back of the birf, stand it up with the end resting on a block of wood on the floor, lift axle and birf together, drop it onto the wood to use the weight of the birf to hammer itself home onto the axle. Similar removal

Looks mostly normal, but maybe a bit stretched by pulling it apart.
A replacement birf would usually come with a replacement c-clip.

I use a zip tie wrapped around the c-clip, and pulled tight to compress the c-clip into the groove to help reassembly.
To reassemble, zip tie the c-clip, put the axle into the back of the birf, stand it up with the end resting on a block of wood on the floor, lift axle and birf together, drop it onto the wood to use the weight of the birf to hammer itself home onto the axle. Similar removal

Okay, thanks! Just seemed like it should be a tighter fit.

To prevent any worrying or issues putting it back together. I'd just replace those C clips with new ones from your local dealership, they'll cost you all of 2, or 3 bucks for 2 new ones.

To prevent any worrying or issues putting it back together. I'd just replace those C clips with new ones from your local dealership, they'll cost you all of 2, or 3 bucks for 2 new ones.

I was actually more worried that the clip had grinded down the groove too much. It was definitely loose as I showed it prior to pulling it, so if someone else opened it up to much, that's a possibility, but the clip seems like it's how it was supposed to be (not bent).

I was actually more worried that the clip had grinded down the groove too much. It was definitely loose as I showed it prior to pulling it, so if someone else opened it up to much, that's a possibility, but the clip seems like it's how it was supposed to be (not bent).
I can assure you that that axle is WAY harder then those clips are. The reason why it looks like that groove is worn larger, is because the clip is in fact worn smaller from rubbing against the axle, and is now smaller then when new. Just buy some new clips from the dealer, install them, and you'll be good to go.

I can assure you that that axle is WAY harder then those clips are. The reason why it looks like that groove is worn larger, is because the clip is in fact worn smaller from rubbing against the axle, and is now smaller then when new. Just buy some new clips from the dealer, install them, and you'll be good to go.

Good point...

that C clip looks pretty worn.
I would go with a brand new one.

There was that one time we made a PVC canon when we were kids. Instead of starter fluid, we tried acetylene. It didn’t go well. The things we did as kids. It’s a wonder we survived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom