Red Clay Rally 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my initial reply on this topic was buried in Stump's 2018 thread. I have registered. yes, i'm taking it on faith i'll have my truck by then ;)

for a team, we need 2-4 vehicles. so 1-3 more are needed. I have a co-driver (not club member, sold his FJ but wants a truck some time soon - PSST new member trying to unload your Bronco pleae PM me or email hakalugi (at) gmail.com)

Anyways, who's up for this?

more info i got after reg'ing:

Hello!

You're receiving this email because YOU are registered as a driver in the #RedClayRally. Please confirm with each driver of your team and make sure they're receiving this email. Passengers will not receive emails.

I need to touch on a few things this year that have changed, in an attempt to streamline the months leading up to the rally.

First: less emails. I will not be sending weekly or even monthly emails with updates regarding the rally. Important news will be the only thing I send. This will not change the fact that any time you have a question don't hesitate to email me and I will respond quickly, usually within 12 hours.

Second: Rally Format- Last years Time Speed Distance format was awesome, however as many of you know, 9000 of the 12,000 points accrued by competitors were due to being too EARLY. If (yes if) we continue with a TSD format, it is your responsibility to learn what a TSD rally is. I will not coach you on what this means, or how to be competitive. This is your responsibility and you should know what this rally is well before June. The rules will be simple, and easy to follow but speeding will not be tolerated. You do not have to break any speed limits to win this rally. This isn't a race, and early arrivals will be punished 5x more heavily than late arrivals. Arrivals 20 minutes early or earlier will be instant disqualification with no questions asked. We will travel through active coal mines and be around heavy machinery, coal trucks, trains, and workers. If you think I am kidding, try speeding.

Third: Vehicles- last year we had a huge bottleneck on the most difficult trail due to a vehicle failure. We are still encouraging lifted Subarus to compete, however if you are on a team with a Subaru, know that you will be released last each day. You'll be in the same class as everyone else, and scored identically, but we understand that the trails are exponentially more challenging to a Subaru, and we are trying to prevent a bottleneck.
Also NO rally insignia will be on any vehicle during the rally. NONE. Not words, logos or numbers. Numbers shall not be posted on any vehicle, including competitor supplied numbers. I learned last year that it's an easy way for bystanders to recognize competitors, and attempt to create trouble by involving law enforcement despite our rally being a legally sanctioned event. People see numbers on a vehicle and think "race car", when it just isn't so. If you don't know, last year, you hit a trail that a deputy claimed was private property, due to a disgruntled HOA. I knew this not to be true but didn't have any documentation to prove him wrong. I have since obtained the GIS date to this road and the connecting road which shows the entire route we drove was public. If you show up at RCR 2018 with any of the aforementioned items on your vehicle, you will be required to remove it prior to being permitted to run the rally.

Fourth: Route: This is one of the most remote areas in the United States. Don't expect cell service or help nearby. There is far less pavement this year. Some of the trails are extreme, and if it says "Hard" on the map and you don't want body damage, don't try it, stick to the main trail. You WILL get body damage on the hard routes, and will most likely deploy your winch several times. There are sections of night driving this year so be sure to have ample lighting.

Fifth: I love hearing teams trash talk each other. It adds a competitive feel to the rally. Trash talk is permitted and encouraged but there is zero tolerance for insults of racial or sexual nature. That should go without saying.

Official rules will be released in the coming months. Also if you have not paid, that should've been done upon registering. Please respond to this email and let me know what's up. If you do not have a team mate at this time please step up your search and get someone onboard. If you're solo by rally day you will be paired with another solo person. If there are no solo people left, you will not be permitted to run the rally. This is for your safety.

Above all let's get this show on the road... Prepare your vehicle NOW, organize gear and teams. 11 teams dropped out last year, make sure you're not one of them in 2018.

Zack
Creator
Red Clay Rally

Very into the idea but I don’t think my old 40 on 31s open/open would be up for it....

Sounds interesting ...

I think it's a matter of getting enough capable trucks together.

This looks good to me , I don’t have the needed gps equipment but my truck is good to go

Just a heads up. Last year they raced through some trails we have in NC using illegal roads and bypasses as special stages. I witnessed this in person. There was zero tread lightly. They say that they are going to do a better job of keeping speeds down but if you get slowed or break you’re going to speed to catch up. It’s a race no matter how you put it. Sounds fun until you realize that they are taking you on illegal trails and bypasses. Until they change it from a timed event on public lands without involving the USFS I’m going to be against this event.

If you're open to a non-local team member, the two guys I recruited failed to sign up in time so I am solo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom