Record mpg? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Record mpg? I got 18.2!

Hey folks I just got 18.2 outta the last tank!! :bounce::beer: money! Im stock w/275s no rear seats sans running boards, and some trail modded body cladding.
I just changed all the air cleaner hoses that i found cracked , new pcv and hoses after averaging 11.5 on a previous tank.
I did baby her and tried to see how far I could stretch it .
400.2 miles /21.9 gallons...ran her all but dry for the first time.
I normally average 13 to 15 driving it like I stole it!
Its good to know where exactly empty is!

Last edited:
WOW, 18.2...... excellent

How much was it babied?

Light on the skinny pedal from fill up

Stock 93 with 200k miles, bought it in Jacksonville and drove it to Texas and averaged 13.6mpg. im currently setting everything up to start my baseline. good to know i defiantly have better fuel milage to look forward too.

i imagine you were taking it easy. I am on a tank now were i have 192 miles and still have a 1/3 of a tank, all highway miles mind you so i assume ill see around 280-300 on this tank what would be all that bad, assuming i was not driving conservative at all, 75-90 on the highway driven slower on the highway ill bet i could have seen better.

mhanssens ...look before you leap stock with 275s and i listed weight mods

Mine has 315/75/16, Lifted 4" with ARB bullbar M12000 Warn. Metaltech sliders, 163k miles, new PCV, new air intake hose, KN filter 4.88's, New fuel filter "both", 3rd row removed, no cats and RMS muffler and I get about 11 MPG.

I am good? This thing is my daily driver.

But your tank is 25 Gallons right?
So you were not that close to true empty
MPG' s are depressing on these trucks I only check it every once and awhile to make sure nothing dropped off and there are no problems
I would not waste your time with MPG on these trucks, stock maybe, but modified it sucks

Mini-jack here: just where IS the empty needle on these tanks? It seems to me that I can be around 150-165 miles on 1/2 tank, then not get anywhere near 300 miles when the needle sits on the "E".... So if I run her til she's bone dry, does the needle end up south of the bottom right of that E? I thought my low fuel light was inop, then one day I finally got it to come on-right as I was in the sketchiest part of Memphis I've been to in a while.... But that was when the pin was just below the E line, still over the actual "E". Anyone got a pic?

I drove my stock 91 across the country, round trip, for three summers in a row back in the late 90's. Highway mileage was consistently between 17-18mpg.

BUT: That was taking it MUCH slower than most folks are willing to drive. I literally NEVER went above 55-60mph.

Last edited:
How are these numbers even possible- with an EPA MPG of14 mpg hwy??? I am a professional driver/engineer and have never even seen 18+ out of a 4cyl 22RE w/ a 5speed. And I have been driving Toyotas for nearly 30 years. This is 87 octane oxygenated unleaded???

Coulda swore it was 22gal...cool!! once again Mud rules! .. YES the light comes on at 20 gal.
glad to know i didnt run her dry!!

I wait till the light comes on. When it does it goes on and off, and I wait till it stays on at all times. When I fill I have about 3 or 2 1/2 gallons left.

Will push it to the limit to see what the deal is...... My driving is in city, so it's really bad, on the highway its a different story since I drove from Broward County to Orlando and gas lasted pretty good

Hey folks I just got 18.2 outta the last tank!!QUOTE]

If I drive the arse off mine I might get as low as that but I doubt it, if I do not thrash the guts out of it I have to suffer 30 mpg, oh woe is me :D:D:D

regards

Dave

Sweet glad to hear all the input once again. My main reason for posting was the drop in mpg/the simple repairs/then seeing what others have found

I got 18mph headed out of the san juans acouple of weeks ago...once it flatened out I was back 15.5 on the highway.

How are these numbers even possible- with an EPA MPG of14 mpg hwy??? I am a professional driver/engineer and have never even seen 18+ out of a 4cyl 22RE w/ a 5speed. And I have been driving Toyotas for nearly 30 years. This is 87 octane oxygenated unleaded???

Almost no one has the discipline to truly drive with a light touch at every stop/start, and to truly drive 55mph on the hiway day in and day out. If you do, then 16-18mpg is do-able. :meh:

That said, my 92 seems to get a couple miles less per gallon than my 91, even though they're both stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom