Recommended engine shops in Austin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
Changing my HG and wanted to see if makes sense to outsource the detailed head check up. Has anyone used a particular local shop?

Also, most fuel injector places specialize in Diesel. Wondering if anyone used a local shop to clean/test injectors.

thx

Are you North or South? Brooks Elliott in Dripping Springs is one of the best machine shops in town, and exclusively works on cylinder heads.
He has one of mine at his shop at this very moment, actually.

Last edited:
X2 on Brooks, I used him (22RE) about 10 years ago when his shop was still in Austin.

Great! Thx... What's his usual turnaround time? The good ones sometimes booked for a while.

No, that's his old shop. He's in Drip now. His turnaround times are reasonable... I'd say your parts will take longer than he will.

Call him: 512-4four2-5454

If you already have your head off, I'd highly recommend the investment of cleaning it up and making sure everything is in spec. Replace anything in question.

Last edited:
No, that's his old shop. He's in Drip now. His turnaround times are reasonable... I'd say your parts will take longer than he will.

Call him: 512-4four2-5454

If you already have your head off, I'd highly recommend the investment of cleaning it up and making sure everything is in spec. Replace anything in question.
I just found this post doing a G-search for engine rebuild..... very timely indeed. I bought a 1979 BJ40 a week ago from another member here in town (south Austin) and would like to rebuild the diesel motor. Hopefully Brooks does more than heads as I have some rod knock. BTW its been 25 years since my last 40 series and glad to be back in the fold.

I just found this post doing a G-search for engine rebuild..... very timely indeed. I bought a 1979 BJ40 a week ago from another member here in town (south Austin) and would like to rebuild the diesel motor. Hopefully Brooks does more than heads as I have some rod knock. BTW its been 25 years since my last 40 series and glad to be back in the fold.
Did you buy the Costa Rican BJ that was on CL?

Did you buy the Costa Rican BJ that was on CL?
Yes off CL Austin but he told me it was imported from Holland. How do you find out if it is from Costa Rica? Rear fenders were rusty but the tub/body is in decent shape for a 40+ year old vehicle and it needs an engine rebuild... or swap....

Yes off CL Austin but he told me it was imported from Holland. How do you find out if it is from Costa Rica? Rear fenders were rusty but the tub/body is in decent shape for a 40+ year old vehicle and it needs an engine rebuild... or swap....

I remember seeing the CL post, but got mixed up on the details on where it came from. :doh:

Good luck with the new project! Be sure to check out the Diesel section of MUD Diesel Tech / 24 volts - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/diesel-tech-24-volts.24/

Welcome back.
You bought the bj40 from Arturo? If it was Arturo, it is imported from Holland.

A.J

You sure it's rod knock and not normal diesel engine sounds? Also, don't expect it to be a rocket. Turbo it if you want better driveability.

Yeah, I remember Arturo's truck when he first got it.

Had my injectors cleaned at Austin Fuel Injectors. We'll see how they work when I put them on eventually, but they gave them back to me taken apart and charged more than I was expecting, $35 per. My fault for not getting a quote first, I just thought that they would run around $18 per the other threads at other places around the country.

Had my injectors cleaned at Austin Fuel Injectors. We'll see how they work when I put them on eventually, but they gave them back to me taken apart and charged more than I was expecting, $35 per. My fault for not getting a quote first, I just thought that they would run around $18 per the other threads at other places around the country.

From what I have read, those guys are good but pricey, I ended up using Mr. Injector on a couple of occasions with great results!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom