Builds Recently acquired locked 94 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

aaaaaaaand THIS is the point that Dave sits back and thinks realllll hard about whether this is going to be better than a 1fz or not

IMG_6330.jpeg
IMG_6331.jpeg
IMG_6334.jpeg

was going to attempt to pare this down before firing but decided to not mess with harness until after engine fired up and all systems are functional. would suck real bad to pull some needed wires.

IMG_6336.jpeg

IMG_6333.jpeg

used the same approach as @Dirty Koala thanks to his build thread to swap the voltage regulator from Toyota to Cummins alternator. working so far. had previously done the @Photoman alt upgrade so I wanted to see if whatever this part is called would swap over as well so the back cover of alt could be used without altering it. pretty close, and could've with some spacers, but now was not the time to go down that rabbit hole.

IMG_6518.jpeg
IMG_6519.jpeg
IMG_6520.jpeg

also from @Dirty Koala 's build thread, I knew I needed to make crank damper work with Toyota tach which requires three pulses. no way in hell I'm running a cummins engine withOUT a Fluidampr on the crank, and all of those either come with two notches or no notches. time to hit the drawing board.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 140844.jpeg

had to get the mill fired up for the first time at the new shop, so that took some extra time but we got it dialed.

IMG_6415.jpeg

turned out quite nice

IMG_6428.jpeg

spray painted the machined edge to match, hopefully it is stable.

IMG_6441.jpeg

next step is to install fan (another favor from @Dirty Koala, he sent me his offset fan mount since the stock one puts the fan into the steering gear). BUT, it contacts damper :/ (this damper was the test fit one, no notches but same OD as the bumps I machined)

IMG_6431.jpeg

did three things to address issue:

1. seated the bearings into the fan mount a little bit more

IMG_6442.jpeg

2. turned down the fan pulley as much as I'm comfortable

IMG_6443.jpeg

3. when that wasn't enough I just went the other way and took the material off the damper. plenty there to deal with the situation. problem solved.

IMG_6445.jpeg

Had some stickers made so I can be kinda like the doge trucks (and to ruffle @OGBeno jimmys)

IMG_6925.jpeg

Last edited:
Apparently I need to update this thread a bit. Got everything running, drove from Boise to Bend for Overland Expo, Boise to Rubithon (and did Rubithon), a couple cross-Idaho dirt road trips, then half of a south-north Idaho trip.

4BT does AMAZING on dirt roads up to about 45mph or so. Just sings. Sips fuel. Did AMAZING on the Rubicon (could pretty much just idle over most things if I wanted to). Driving around town and on the freeway, it SUCKS. Big time.

Then, on the aforementioned south-north Idaho trip, it inexplicably dropped a valve. Finally pulled into shop this weekend to start tear down. Going to attempt to stretch the motor by a couple cylinders and put it back in.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg

Finally got this prick out. Looking forward to having the time for disassembly to see what the damage is.

IMG_1711.jpeg

Picked up a used good head that came with a free block so I can start test fitting stuff and getting measurements while waiting for the new engine to be done at the machine shop.

IMG_1723.jpeg

Why the block was free...

IMG_1739.jpeg

Got them meagerly stuck together today and attached to old trans.

IMG_1745.jpeg

Got it "in" but not "in", since there seem to be some clearance issues different from the 4bt engine. Engine mounts @Will Van sent me to test out need to go back about one more inch to drop on the OEM isolators but there is a boss on the back of the head that is making some hard contact. Will be investigating how much of the boss can be ground off before deciding if need to make some different mounts that push engine forward some.

IMG_1757.jpeg

This is where the interference is. Trans mount/cross member is in same place and engine mounts are about an inch off.

IMG_1753.jpeg

Other side of engine.

IMG_1758.jpeg

Last thing tonight was eyeballing the exhaust situation. Looks like a spacer to drop turbo down slightly will make this fit nicely. Since @Dirty Koala is paralleling this build we have a good dialogue going of how to deal with issues as they come up, with his experience fitting a 6cyl previously coming in clutch.

Below you can also see how far off the engine mounts are.

IMG_1759.jpeg

As expected the steering support bar is going to have to get f'd with in the near future but I wan to get the engine in place first.

IMG_1761.jpeg

Got a couple Painless Performance harnesses and will modify both as needed and document here

IMG_1748.jpeg

This is where the interference is. Trans mount/cross member is in same place and engine mounts are about an inch off.

View attachment 3579197

Other side of engine.

View attachment 3579198

Last thing tonight was eyeballing the exhaust situation. Looks like a spacer to drop turbo down slightly will make this fit nicely. Since @Dirty Koala is paralleling this build we have a good dialogue going of how to deal with issues as they come up, with his experience fitting a 6cyl previously coming in clutch.

Below you can also see how far off the engine mounts are.

View attachment 3579199

As expected the steering support bar is going to have to get f'd with in the near future but I wan to get the engine in place first.

View attachment 3579201

Got a couple Painless Performance harnesses and will modify both as needed and document here

View attachment 3579202
I didn’t realize you were doing common rail. Cool project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom