Receiver hitch for 70 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Custom built...2x2 receiver tubing for the receiver and gussets, 1/2x4 flat for the backing plate. The step on my bumper is offset to the LH side thus the long gusset on the LH side (receiver is centered). Looked pretty good when the paint was new...not so much anymore. Hella strong and no loss of departure angle.

Id love to make a custom one. My original plan was to make one but as I NEED to get rid of the crap drop plate one asap and I haven't done the welding classes or got a welder yet it looks like Ill need to buy one!

I want to use it as a removable winch mount too so it has to be really strong and that looks perfect. I might have to see if I can get one made using your idea as a basis. The step on my bumper is in the middle so Id make with 2 smaller gussets each side.

'90 LJ78 and '85 BJ70 Hitch solution

I got a combination pintel (sp?) and ball hitch at the Canadian Store "Princess Auto" for about $80. NOTHING ever fits my JDMs but this hitch fits the pre-drilled holes and the bolts for both the LJ78 and the BJ70, and I said so to the sales clerk. She said, "It fits because this part is made in Japan." It is overkill - I think it's rated 8 tons or 5 tons - but cheaper than guessing at a traditional hitch size for $350.
HPIM0842.jpg

Thats not really what I wanted. Im looking for a receiver hitch so I can take it off when I'm not using it and also use it as a mounting point for a removable winch.

I'm making inquiries about getting one made at the moment.

Last edited:
You could go with something like the Kaymar rear bumper on my Troopy, that will bolt right up to the 70 series. Pictures are before with the standard reciever and frame and after with the kaymar.

Cheers,

Michael
DSC01036a.jpg
DSC01037a.jpg
DSC01046a.jpg

I got a combination pintel (sp?) and ball hitch at the Canadian Store "Princess Auto" for about $80. NOTHING ever fits my JDMs but this hitch fits the pre-drilled holes and the bolts for both the LJ78 and the BJ70, and I said so to the sales clerk. She said, "It fits because this part is made in Japan." It is overkill - I think it's rated 8 tons or 5 tons - but cheaper than guessing at a traditional hitch size for $350.
View attachment 257239
I just had a look at the princess auto site and it come with a 2"ball, can you change it up to a bigger ball?

Looks great, I am curious how that would work, is there a name on the hitch (brand)?

View attachment 257239
How much can this type of bumper mounted hitch tow?

It can handle racks in receiver, and a lite duty trailer, small travel trailer, but beyond that you are looking for trouble, keep in mind the short wheelbase (on the non wagons or p/u) also do not help from a control standpoint

Please keep in mind the LJ Frame and axles are not as heavy duty as BJ/HJ.... Etc. Yes frame is lighter materials and different

It can handle racks in receiver, and a lite duty trailer, small travel trailer, but beyond that you are looking for trouble, keep in mind the short wheelbase (on the non wagons or p/u) also do not help from a control standpoint
Thanks for the advice, I was looking at pulling a small car hauler with a load of 1500lbs, which sounds like it might be too much for my hzj73 with bumper mounted trailer hitch.

I haven't posted any pics yet, but I managed to retro-fit a "service body" hitch to my HZJ79. the hitch is rated for 13,000# (way more than the capacity of the truck). I'll post some pictures once I am on my home computer. The hitch is bolted with the 4 centre M10 bolts on the rear x-member and 3 bolts on each side which are sleeved with also M10 bolts. I should be able to safely tow over 7000#, similar to the Aussie spec'd rear tow bars for the 79 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom