Rebuilt steering rack or new? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I blew the steering rack yesterday coming home from a country drive, Oil is pouring out of the passenger side oil seal. Funny it just went all of a sudden. Anyway, I have searched the site but can not find a lot of info on the best place to buy a new rack or if a reman toyota rack is available from somewhere. I live in Costa Rica , so will have to ship it from the states. Here they are $4000 from the Toyota stealer and take a month to order.
Thanks for your help

Have you tried partsouq.com located in Dubai UAE? they ship within 4 days to reach my home in West TX and shipping cost is not bad. enter the vin and search the parts diagram.

Several online US dealers discount to around $600 +\~ here in the US and generally shipped free inside continental US. There are consolidator/forwarder shippers in Miami that should be able to ship to you.

Rebuilt racks don’t use OEM parts, where that counts is the seals and inner tie rod. If you go to the trouble of importing something/ buy new, or buy the rebuild kit and have someone skilled there rebuild your rack.

You can also check Partsouq to ship directly from UAE

I would go new if you can. Or if you rebuilt you can get remanned from toyota themselves. It's less than half the price of a new one. This is the route I took. My truck has 450k miles on it. The most off road it sees is forest service roads so no serious off roading. I've had it on for about two years and haven't had a problem with it.

The upshot was, $4200 from toyota Costa rica....No ! Partsoug was $1150 +200 shipping to the US then 350 to a forwarder for duty shipping etc....Maybe. Then I tried all the US based Toyota parts places. They were about $560 plus $75 shipping to the forwarder in Miami then $250 more to them. Great.....But just try to buy something in the US with a Canadian CC or Paypal account, not doable. Very frustrating. I spent 6 hours straight chasing this rack. Finally phoned one of the US toyota places and they manually took the order and address etc....Done.....Things are getting more and more difficult do to the scammers etc. Any way. thanks for your help.

I would go new if you can. Or if you rebuilt you can get remanned from toyota themselves. It's less than half the price of a new one. This is the route I took. My truck has 450k miles on it. The most off road it sees is forest service roads so no serious off roading. I've had it on for about two years and haven't had a problem with it.
No issues with the install or anything? I know people complain about the reman CVS from Toyota but I don’t hear much about the rack. Price point is tempting but man it’s a lot of work to do it! Do t wanna do it twice if the reman leaks or something

No issues with the install or anything? I know people complain about the reman CVS from Toyota but I don’t hear much about the rack. Price point is tempting but man it’s a lot of work to do it! Do t wanna do it twice if the reman leaks or something
Don't get me wrong, If I had paid 15 or 20 for my vehicle and I was going to be wheeling a couple of days away from cavillation then I probably would of sprang for the brand new one. Bu I just could justify it on a a cruiser that had 450k miles on it that is mainly just an on road daily. I was doing the timing belt job and and exhaust manifold at the same time. That makes it easier when you already have the front half of the motor taken off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom