Rebuilding the 1F motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am sure there are alot of you guys still running original motors, I have a 62' 1F all original. I was wondering what the approx would be to have it rebuilt? or if I should go another route? If I do rebuild what engine mods should I do to go with it?

Thanks for the help.

I would give Mark at Marksoffroad.com a call....he KNOWS these engines.

:beer:

I depends on what you want. If your 62 is to remain a collecots item leave it stock. If you want a good runner I might suggest that you upgrade the motor a bit.

Then there is the darkside of a V8 conversion..

I agree keep it stock, but when you're done I would say hook up some mechanical oil pressure and vacuum guages.

And make sure you have the rocker arm geometry right (especially on #6). That's what took out my F engine the first time.

2x on the call to mark he is the 135F guy.... i think they are a great motor.

Cost for a full rebuild will be $3-5K, depending on location and parts needed.

There isn't much room for upgrades on the F engine.
It has the skinny rods, which can be upgraded to a set of stronger rods from a 2F.

It can be upgraded to a later crank, w/ thread on balancer, BUT you have to find the rare single groove balancer to go with.

A bigger (newer) oil pump is a good idea.

New oil pump requires new oil pan w/ revised baffles.

If it has the fiber cam gear, I recommend changing to the all steel gear.

Install hardened seats, if it doesn't already have them.

Bronze liner the guides. They need replaced, but bronze liners work better than pressing in new, overpriced iron guides.

Crack check the cyl. head. They are prone to cracking at the exhaust runners because of the siamese design.

Crack check the rocker stands. They are fragile and prone to cracking.

Balance the rotating & reciprocating assemblies. The old engines are out by OUnces in some cases.

There isn't much else possible w/ the engine, due to the extremely restrictive cylinder head & combustion chamber design. Basically, do what you can to improve durability/reliability, and learn to enjoy Cruisin' in the slow lane.

Gundy, there is a big difference between your F and his F..

Glad to see you keeping it stock. I am (slowly) rebuilding a 72 F for a 55 and wouldn't consider a 2F or 350. Something neat about keeping it original. Mark is definately the man when it comes to those engines.

FJ40Jim said:
Install hardened seats, if it doesn't already have them.

Crack check the cyl. head. They are prone to cracking at the exhaust runners because of the siamese design.

That's a great post for us siemese f folks.. thanks Jim. :)

Did the Siemese F's not have hardened seats?:confused:

Also by exhaust runners do you mean where the 2 ports come together?

I'll have to go look at my head I have off the block for these items.. :cheers:

Gundy said:
None the less I'd recommend rebuild. Fewer and fewer stock drivetrains are
surviving. Hey I'm an old fool....:grinpimp:....we all know that!
I do nto have a single problem with that :D

i love the sixes ;)

wesintl said:
That's a great post for us siemese f folks.. thanks Jim. :)

Did the Siemese F's not have hardened seats?

I don't think hardened seats came about until the advent of unleaded gasoline. The lead "cushioned" the valve/seat. So '73?

Ed

Right. Hardened seats came with unleaded gas. I've heard varying recommendations about having it done retroactively. What was said was that if you make LONG HARD highway speed drives, you'll see some benefit. Otherwise, other things in your engine will go first. No firsthand knowledge myself, just sharing the advice I've been given.

I thought toyota used hardened valve seats before unleaded came out... I didn't expect it to be 64 but thought it was before 73...

If it has been run on Unleaded for a while now you shoudl be fine. "work hardening" of the valve seats does happen. However, it reallyis not expensive to get at least the exhaust seats done...
($100 for a set of V8 heads)

Did the Siamese F's not have hardened seats?:confused:
I dunno.
Old parts catalog doesn't indicate their presence.

Also by exhaust runners do you mean where the 2 ports come together?
Yes, the runner is the passage through the head from the valve to the manifold face.
The tops of the exh runners are prone to cracking.

I don't think hardened seats came about until the advent of unleaded gasoline. The lead "cushioned" the valve/seat. So '73?
All the "modern" 12 port heads have seat inserts. Well, if they were sold in america.

SOR imported some cheap Afrika spec 2F/3F heads a few years ago. Turned out the reason they were cheap was no hardened seat inserts at all.

Just run avgas and don't worry about the hardened seats :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom