Rebuilding a Steering Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My father's 40 had power steering added to it, so the factory steering box came off. They have always been a bit of a mystery to me so I cracked it open to see what lay inside.

The gears appear to be in great shape but one of the bearings is crunchy. Other than the bearing and the fact that it likes like a sieve, looks like pretty good parts.

Is it worth rebuilding this?

1587118249445.png

Bart

Some people just try harder! You are supposed to release the pitman arm and remove the sector shaft BEFORE removing the worm gear.

Then examine the teeth on both, as well as the seal surface of the sector shaft, the bronze bushings in the side cover and the box.

I don’t take it as a healthy sign when I see grease coming out where gear oil is supposed to be. It means someone was too lazy to change a leaking seal, which also increases the odds that the box was run without adjustment either. :(

Bart

Some people just try harder! You are supposed to release the pitman arm and remove the sector shaft BEFORE removing the worm gear.

Then examine the teeth on both, as well as the seal surface of the sector shaft, the bronze bushings in the side cover and the box.

I don’t take it as a healthy sign when I see grease coming out where gear oil is supposed to be. It means someone was too lazy to change a leaking seal, which also increases the odds that the box was run without adjustment either. :(

Hey Mark, do I get an A for effort? It actually came out with little struggle--ran the worm gear up, turned it sideways and out she came. That lazy person with the grease was my father :) It was adjusted though, at least under his ownership. Are kits available to rebuild these? I'm not seeing them anywhere.

Well, you’ve got two seals and a gasket...and then a jump into unobtanium if you need anything else. I have a 60 quart tote with housings, covers and bearings, but they are all dedicated to in house rebuilds.

Its my living.

I’m not hoarding Bart. Send me your steering box to rebuild and I will gladly supply whatever it needs during the rebuild. ;)

Here's my attempt (in progress) at rebuilding one via the Factory Service Manual steps if you want to try and take it on. However, as Mark alluded, if the bearings, races, shims, thrust washer, etc. aren't salvageable or meeting spec he's probably one of the few people on the planet with enough extras to pilfer from.

A very interesting theme. Thank you von Hayek for the thread!

I would like to ask if the works that are considered here may apply for the Power Steering box too?

Mits
====
1984 BJ42, frame-off restored, 4E9 Toyo beige
1983 BJ45 P/UP, frame-off resto project

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom