Rebuild time

My 1994 FJ80 needs at least a top end rebuild…. Looking for opinions about that versus installing a remanufactured engine?It has 300000 miles on it.

Remans are generally held in low regard around here.

Personally, assuming your engine is good otherwise, I would rebuild the top end. If my entire engine were blown, I would consider a reman under the assumption that I would be doing a V8 swap or some other drastic change soonish.

My advice is do the top end.
when you take the head off you will have a good indication of the bores and if well maintained should be fine, visible cross hatching , no score marks etc.
Its not a difficult task but dont rush it, use OEM parts and you will be right.

I did the top end (HG) on mine at the same (480000kms) coming up 5 years now and no probs

My 1994 FJ80 needs at least a top end rebuild…. Looking for opinions about that versus installing a remanufactured engine?It has 300000 miles on it.
Good advice in the previous posts.
I took a different route.
1 year ago I was up to my elbows in a complete rebuild (main bearings, rod bearings, pistons, etc., etc.)
I broke every rule in the book. 372k miles running good (passed CA smog). I fixed tons of stuff that wasn't broken, on purpose.
Loved every minute. I wanted, and got a "new" 25 year old beast.
A) I don't have any nagging worries now, and
B) I know everything inside and out.

Downside? Wasn't exactly cheap!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom