Remanufactured Engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a good supplier for reman’d engines? CruiserParts has questionable quality/service, Jasper (from what I hear) is in the same boat, and the slew of pop up suppliers seems to be worse, at least their sales departments haven’t inspired confidence during my correspondence. Everything on car-parts is approaching 200k and I don’t have the space, time or competence to rebuild a motor prior to taking to the mechanic for install. My truck spun a rod and I’m in the market for a new motor, but the poor reviews for every supplier has me wondering if there is a good source for those of us too stubborn to give up on our 22 year old trucks.

Buy a NEW short block.

I would check with @slow95z for good used motor. I bet he has one or two. Or post on the STLCA clubhouse page I’m sure there are some good engine rebuilders in Tennessee. I know there is one in South Pittsburg that was recommended to me before but I can’t think of his name.

The new short block way is best, if you can afford one. As a yota tech I cringe when I hear “jasper” “xyz” reman engine. I rather take a running used engine and refresh it with new oem gaskets, exhaust valves (if pitted) and valve seals. Possibly a slight hone and NPR or oem rings. Check bearings, yada yada yada. A reman shop cuts the valves and then does a valve job by cutting the stem. Do they leave enough meat on the valve margin, do they chamfer the stem?

If you do get a reman, ask them the brand of rings. If they don’t reply with NPR (or oem) find someone else.

Something else very important on the 1fz. Timing chain and guides. Again I rather reuse higher mileage oem that check out fine then aftermarket. If the engine had regular oil changes then you might only be changing a couple of guides. When tearing down look at the tensioner, it will tell you all you need to know most of the time.

I only have obd1 engines right now

IIRC I remember onur posting about the limited availability a few months back as well.

Short Block Assy.jpg

go new and rebuild it decades later that if you outlive it

As a yota tech I cringe when I hear “jasper” “xyz” reman engine.

Everything I have read has been positive about Jasper until this. What specifically have you seen on theirs?

Everything I have read has been positive about Jasper until this. What specifically have you seen on theirs?

My brother manages a fleet maintenance shop and they’ve had quite few Jasper engines come through with valves out of spec, loose bolts, etc. His mechanics have told him that they won’t use them anymore and they've cut ties. Not sure what they’re using now.

I actually just found a used 1FZ locally for $1500. The mileage is unknown, but the guy sent me a video of it running in the truck. Provided the compression is decent, I’ll probably go ahead pick it up and have the top end rebuilt to at least get the Cruiser back on the road.

We had a 3.4 4Runner with a jasper engine, it lock the passenger cam up due to oil starvation. Customer had all his records of service so they warranty the engine. I got a box of cookies with the reman engine 😂

The issue I have with most reman shops is quality of abiding by factory tolerances. Toyota’s tolerances are so tight a shop can’t make money unless they cut corners. It’s rare to pull a reman apart and find the head or block hasn’t been shaved too much.

Then the gaskets, absolute junk. Insurance put a reman from LKQ in a 1gr Taco. First engine puked out of the rear oil galley at start up, I knew it would and I knew I would get paid again 😂 The retards staked the plug in the oil galley, Obviously they knew it was an issue. They could have tapped the hole with a pipe plug and made it better then factory, that would require thought. 2nd engine lasted 2 months past warranty when the headgasket seeped externally. When I pulled that gasket apart the Teflon just flaked off. I have never seen a yota gasket do that, garbage!!!! I flagged about 70 hours on that truck within 14 months!!!! Imagine paying $125 * 70

We had a 3.4 4Runner with a jasper engine, it lock the passenger cam up due to oil starvation. Customer had all his records of service so they warranty the engine. I got a box of cookies with the reman engine 😂

The issue I have with most reman shops is quality of abiding by factory tolerances. Toyota’s tolerances are so tight a shop can’t make money unless they cut corners. It’s rare to pull a reman apart and find the head or block hasn’t been shaved too much.

Then the gaskets, absolute junk. Insurance put a reman from LKQ in a 1gr Taco. First engine puked out of the rear oil galley at start up, I knew it would and I knew I would get paid again 😂 The retards staked the plug in the oil galley, Obviously they knew it was an issue. They could have tapped the hole with a pipe plug and made it better then factory, that would require thought. 2nd engine lasted 2 months past warranty when the headgasket seeped externally. When I pulled that gasket apart the Teflon just flaked off. I have never seen a yota gasket do that, garbage!!!! I flagged about 70 hours on that truck within 14 months!!!! Imagine paying $125 * 70

Haha. I’d be physically ill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom