Reasonably quiet All Terrain tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just put a new set of Toyo Open Country AT3's in 285/70r17 on my LX570. (Attached pictures are how it sits now and going to maintain a similar look) Surprisingly to me they have a light roar that gets a little annoying over about 40 mph. I'm too old for that at this point in my life. I'm surprised because I put Toyo OC AT2's on my wife's 4Runner and have been very happy with them and although slightly louder than what they replaced, they are certainly reasonable.

Like most, they're going to spend 95%+ time on the road, but will go off-road as I'm a hunter, fisherman, and general outdoorsman.

So the question is, what All Terrain tires are you guys happy with from a low road noise stand point? I do want something that has a least a slightly aggressive sidewall look.

1) I have considered BFG ATKO2's which I've had on other vehicles (Ram 3500 and Jeep) and been very happy with, however, my tire guy says they changed something in 2019 and he's been getting many complaints ever since - getting less than 20k miles etc.

2) Falken Wild Peak AT3w. I read tons of great reviews on these tires. Any opinions on road noise and/or longevity?

3) Falken Rubitrex - looks a slightly more road oriented tread pattern (vs Wild Peak) with still an aggressive looking sidewall. Appears that it might be fairly quiet? Can't find many reviews on this tire.

4) Yokohama Geolander AT GO015. Recommended by my tire guy. Seem slightly mild but might work

5) Firestone Destination AT2. Solid reviews - appears somewhat road oriented (not necessarily a bad thing). I've had good service out of Firestone tires in the past.

Any others I should think about? Greatly appreciate any experience you can share!

20221004_191806.jpg

20221002_141315.jpg

20221002_141301.jpg

I have BFG KO2 in 285/60/18 Load Range D.

My KOs have been very quiet over the life of it…42k miles and counting.

Rotated every 5k miles.

Here are pics of my KO2 front and rear just now.

8C3363CE-2B12-4E9E-A6D5-382662BE99B5.jpeg

94B46CF2-3675-42BF-BEB3-3BBE204302EF.jpeg

Last edited:
A couple more to consider are the general grabber ATX and the Nokian Outpsot At. I haven’t used the Nokian Outpost AT but the reviews are all positive for road noise. I was pleasantly surprised buy how quiet the ATXs were. Not much more noise then the Michelin Defenders.

I just bought a set of the Falkon at3's for my tacoma last week (31x10.5x15) and they are very quiet compared to my old Goodyears wranglers, I'm impressed with the Falkon's handling on road and off road. It made a huge difference how my truck rides.

I had general grabber AT and they were silent for 55k miles....

@Tiger Rag are yours the P-metric P285/70R17 or LT285/70R17? They look like the P variant to me but I can't tell for sure..

Note that if so, yours are already far more quiet than most AT tires. They are basically in a different category than most AT's, which are built in LT-metric flavor and frankly have different standards for noise and ride quality.

I would seriously consider the Michelin LTX A/T2

@Tiger Rag are yours the P-metric P285/70R17 or LT285/70R17? They look like the P variant to me but I can't tell for sure..

Note that if so, yours are already far more quiet than most AT tires. They are basically in a different category than most AT's, which are built in LT-metric flavor and frankly have different standards for noise and ride quality.

I would seriously consider the Michelin LTX A/T2
My personal experience with LTX AT2….not that quiet. YMMV

I've heard the Nitto Ridge Grapplers are very quiet for an A/T tire. I have them, and the noise isn't bad (and actually got quieter after a few thousand miles) but they are not silent. I haven't run any other A/T tires on the LC though so I can't compare

Conti TC ATs here. Silent.
Yeah, they are factory AT tire on the upcoming 2023 Honda Pilot TrailSport………you sure that you want to be identified along the same line?! :D It is bad enough that people confuse LC with Highlander!

So I just put a new set of Toyo Open Country AT3's in 285/70r17 on my LX570. (Attached pictures are how it sits now and going to maintain a similar look) Surprisingly to me they have a light roar that gets a little annoying over about 40 mph. I'm too old for that at this point in my life. I'm surprised because I put Toyo OC AT2's on my wife's 4Runner and have been very happy with them and although slightly louder than what they replaced, they are certainly reasonable.

Like most, they're going to spend 95%+ time on the road, but will go off-road as I'm a hunter, fisherman, and general outdoorsman.

So the question is, what All Terrain tires are you guys happy with from a low road noise stand point? I do want something that has a least a slightly aggressive sidewall look.

1) I have considered BFG ATKO2's which I've had on other vehicles (Ram 3500 and Jeep) and been very happy with, however, my tire guy says they changed something in 2019 and he's been getting many complaints ever since - getting less than 20k miles etc.

2) Falken Wild Peak AT3w. I read tons of great reviews on these tires. Any opinions on road noise and/or longevity?

3) Falken Rubitrex - looks a slightly more road oriented tread pattern (vs Wild Peak) with still an aggressive looking sidewall. Appears that it might be fairly quiet? Can't find many reviews on this tire.

4) Yokohama Geolander AT GO015. Recommended by my tire guy. Seem slightly mild but might work

5) Firestone Destination AT2. Solid reviews - appears somewhat road oriented (not necessarily a bad thing). I've had good service out of Firestone tires in the past.

Any others I should think about? Greatly appreciate any experience you can share!

View attachment 3132589

View attachment 3132590

View attachment 3132591

Specific tire sizing, inflation pressure, and individual expectations play a role here. Curious what inflation pressure you're running? There's been annecdotes of higher inflation pressure reducing the more aggressive tire should lugs contact with the road and decreasing noise. I don't think that will do enough to change your goals though.

I have ran both Falken and Toyos. If the AT3s don't meet your expectations, the Falkens are not likely to either. Both are well behaved but neither are silent. At least for the tire sizes I ran, I found the Falkens to have coarser and louder noise at higher freeway speeds. Whereas the Toyo was louder at medium speeds, getting to smoother and lower tone at higher speeds. Again, I think that's specific to the tire sizes and maybe even pressure I run.

For your goals, like others, I would highly recommend Michelin LTXs.

Cooper AT3 LT or XLT. Rugged looks and they are supposed to be quiet.

Wildpeaks on my 100 are slightly quieter than the Toyo AT3s on the 200.

Have you looked at the Nitto Recons? They offer P-Metric XL tires that are supposed to be pretty quiet.I have heard the Conti A/T is very quiet as well. I have just over 20k miles on my Ridge Grapplers and they are freaking noisy over 50mph. They were rotated every 5k. The Recons won’t be silent and hopefully I will be testing them out on an upcoming 800mi. road trip if they arrive on time and will report back. If they don’t perform as expected, I’ll either go Revo3 or Conti TC A/T which are both E-load which they have not received great reviews for a quieter A/T as they are more on the mild side. The Nokian Outpost was my first pic but they are impossible to get right now because of Russia.

Your tire guy is feeding you some BS on the KO2's, I have had four sets since 2019 without an issue, many more amongst family and friends. Falken Wildpeak AT3w's are the most overhyped POS tires I can recall in recent years, I'd run Duracraps before those and I am no fan of those either.

I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain on order to come in with my wheels. Same size as you went with as well.

After doing some research, they seem to tick all the boxes for an A/T tire and are quieter than K02s. Can report back with my impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom