Rear Wheel/Hub Bearings Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my 1999, 100 series, LC I replaced the front wheel bearings, now I want to do the rear. I’m not sure which parts to order. Are the rear hubs similar to the front having an inner and outer bearing and races?
When I google for the rear parts/kit, I’m getting just the front bearing kit or a single cylinder shaped bearing.

Any advice would be very appreciated as I want to have the right parts before tearing down - need to rebuild on the same day.

Thanks.

On my 1999, 100 series, LC I replaced the front wheel bearings, now I want to do the rear. I’m not sure which parts to order. Are the rear hubs similar to the front having an inner and outer bearing and races?
When I google for the rear parts/kit, I’m getting just the front bearing kit or a single cylinder shaped bearing.

Any advice would be very appreciated as I want to have the right parts before tearing down - need to rebuild on the same day.

Thanks.

Very different set up in the rear. Go to PartSouq, put in your VIN number there, then go to the Powertrain section for a complete exploded view of the parts and part numbers.

There are a few YouTube vids with LCs that appear similar but apparently different, perhaps 105 series, with rear bearings like my fronts. I was hoping that’d be the case.
I don’t have a press, but otherwise this appears doable despite my limited experience.

Thanks for the quick reply, and thanks for the parts link - wish I’d known about that parts web site for several previous projects.

If there’s any further advice I should know please share, it’s greatly appreciated.

thanks again!

if the rear is not leaking or making noise or other issues, I wouldn't touch them, they will last a very long time and don't require periodic maintenance like the front

if the rear is not leaking or making noise or other issues, I wouldn't touch them, they will last a very long time and don't require periodic maintenance like the front

^^^

This would be my advice as well. For the rear, only brake pads, rotor or parking brake components need occasional maintenance.

DO look for leaks...which would be a reason to delve deeper.

There are a few YouTube vids with LCs that appear similar but apparently different, perhaps 105 series, with rear bearings like my fronts. I was hoping that’d be the case.
I don’t have a press, but otherwise this appears doable despite my limited experience.

Thanks for the quick reply, and thanks for the parts link - wish I’d known about that parts web site for several previous projects.

If there’s any further advice I should know please share, it’s greatly appreciated.

thanks again!
FWIW, McGeorge in VA ships from the eastern US without the overseas freight costs. IME, the higher part costs are negated by the lower shipping costs, especially for small parts. Pull the part number from the partsouq fiche page and put it into the search bar on McGeorge's page to see the cost. Their online order guys are a pleasure to deal with and will even contact you if they think you've screwed up an order to make sure it's correct before they place their order with Toyota. Make sure you enter your VIN when you order so they can check it for you.

The LC has 205k miles but there isn’t noise nor leaks, but I’ll dbl check, so I prob will just leave it as is. Glad you mentioned that as I was assuming it was a regular maintenance item like the front.

FWIW, McGeorge in VA ships from the eastern US without the overseas freight costs. IME, the higher part costs are negated by the lower shipping costs, especially for small parts. Pull the part number from the partsouq fiche page and put it into the search bar on McGeorge's page to see the cost. Their online order guys are a pleasure to deal with and will even contact you if they think you've screwed up an order to make sure it's correct before they place their order with Toyota. Make sure you enter your VIN when you order so they can check it for you.

Even better, check the price on McGeorge and get your local dealer to price match. Then you have NO shipping cost and you get your parts next day.

Even better, check the price on McGeorge and get your local dealer to price match. Then you have NO shipping cost and you get your parts next day.
I wish I had that option; I tried that (once); my dealer told me they couldn't buy the parts for what McGeorge sold them for online. I didn't believe them, but I'm was in no position to argue, so I just left and now McGeorge gets all my parts business.

I wish I had that option; I tried that (once); my dealer told me they couldn't buy the parts for what McGeorge sold them for online. I didn't believe them, but I'm was in no position to argue, so I just left and now McGeorge gets all my parts business.
There’s one employee at my parts counter who says that but all the others will do it no problem. Might be worth another shot. If I get Elliot on the phone I just call back later...

☝🏽This. The rear 100 axle is a semi-float so the rear bearings are sealed units and cannot be serviced, only replaced. You will need a press and either the appropriate SST or a homemade contraption to do the job. If the rear axle seal isn’t pissing gear oil on your parking brake shoes and you don’t have any bearing noise, there’s no reason to replace the rear wheel bearings.

We stock a full rear axle bearing ovehaul kit @ Cruiser Outfitters, everything you need to properly do the job i.e. the same parts we use in the shop when we do them

Learn about them here: YWST: 100 & 200 Series Rear Axle Rebuild Kits - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ywst-100-200-series-rear-axle-rebuild-kits.1187635/
(Sorry, not on the new CruiserTeq.com ecommerce site just yet, call to order)

1618017669969.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom