rear sway bar replacement - broke screw (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
DannyG's bushings post got me motivated to at least do my sway bar bushings today. It didn't go as plan since I snapped a screw for the rear sway bar. Went to harbor freight and picked up a screw extractor, but that also ended up breaking inside. I've been trying to drill through the screw extractor but it's going no where.

any advice?

IMG-4183.jpg
IMG-4184.jpg

I would take a punch and smack the dog s*** out of it then heat it up as hot as you can. Once it cools, beat the dog s*** out of it again then you might be able to back it out with a small chisel if you take your time. If that doesn't work, drill out a hole for the biggest extractor you have left and pray to what ever god you like it works. if that doesn't work bore it out and tap if for what ever you have laying around.

DannyG's bushings post got me motivated to at least do my sway bar bushings today. It didn't go as plan since I snapped a screw for the rear sway bar. Went to harbor freight and picked up a screw extractor, but that also ended up breaking inside. I've been trying to drill through the screw extractor but it's going no where.

any advice?

View attachment 2317099View attachment 2317100
The fact that you broke off a screw extractor in it, you now have a piece in the middle that is harder that the drill bit you're using. Move your sway bar out of the way of the hole.
With a sizable hammer (maybe 2 LB), smack directly over the bolt about 5 times. Hit it solid, hit it with meaning.
Then, with a tiny hammer, do LOTS of taps, enough to set a vibration of sorts directly over top of the screw in the same manner as with the big hammer except lightly and frequently.

The idea here is the big hits jar it loose. The little ones vibrate it out. Yes, this works, it takes patience. This is to get out the screw extractor. After that, you will continue to drill out the screw with each successive drill bit size until it comes out or you drill out all the threads and have to re-tap the threads, possibly with a larger size.

Unless you have a welder and an actual oxy-acetylene torch, you're not going to get far.
Screw extractors rarely work Oh yeah....PB Blast the heck out of all sides of it with oil. That will help break loose the rust that's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom