Rear shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my 2008 Lexus GX470 to Toyota to have the oil pan replaced. While leaving the service center I could hear popping and snapping noises; so I immediately returned to service department. As soon as I stopped the car, there was a loud explosion and a puff of smoke emitting from the rear tires. Then my truck dropped to the ground on its own. Apparently, the tech forgot to lower the shocks after replacing the oil pan. This caused my air bag to deploy. The dealership is paying for the rear shocks but is now telling my my front ball barring are leaking oil and need to be replaced. This is new to me!! The cost is $800 for parts plus labor. I am wondering if the front leaky ball barring is related to the shock explosion?

Front ball bearing? Lower ball joint? Upper ball joint? Axle seal? Likely nothing to do with the airbag or being lifted. Suspect they "found" this to cover the other replacement costs

Yeah sounds like they screwed up and are now trying to recoup damages direct from your bank account.

They are trying to offset their costs for fixing what they screwed up. My suggestion is to have them fix what they screwed up and then ask them for an estimate for what they "found".

If this were you, how would you handle this situation? The service tech made me think that the leak in the front is serious and could result in other damages if not replaced.

well leaks don't get better on their own and depending on whats leaking it could cause additional damage, but just saying that its a ball bearing is not specific enough to even guess at what the issue could be going to need more info than that

If this were you, how would you handle this situation? The service tech made me think that the leak in the front is serious and could result in other damages if not replaced.

If it were me, I would have them write-up what they 'found' as a quote then take it to a local shop and have them verify. It could very well be they're just trying to make some money back but at least you'll have confirmation and another quote to compare the dealers to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom