Rear shock seized to upper bushing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for ideas, I got the rear top nuts off thinking that'd be the hard part
But the shocks appear to be seized to the bushing itself, specifically the upper washer. No amount of turning, wiggling, or wrestling is getting the shock to come down.

And when I say wrestling, I mean chisel pounding, pipe wrench on the cover, trying to snake pry bars, you name it.

Am I missing something here? Or any ideas?

Terrible photo, it's just of the bare threads of the shock firmly grasped by the frigging shock.
20230304_190526.jpg

Nevermind, we have a winner
For anyone unfortunate enough to live up north with the same issue:

Took an extremely long and very sharp chisel from my SDS drill and absolutely wailed on it with a sledge, once I had a groove, was able to pound it hard enough to rotate ever so slightly and that popped it.

I absolutely despise salt.

20230304_192039.jpg

20230304_192057.jpg

20230304_192048.jpg

Alternately, leave the shock on the lower mount and let the suspension spring push the shock out of the seized washer, controlling the descent with a floor jack. If that’s not enough force put another scissor or other kind of jack between the axle housing and frame.

Alternately, leave the shock on the lower mount and let the suspension spring push the shock out of the seized washer, controlling the descent with a floor jack. If that’s not enough force put another scissor or other kind of jack between the axle housing and frame.
Damn, dually noted. The spring wasn't enough to kick it out, but sticking a little jack in there would have probably gotten it pulled.

Saving that idea for what I'm sure will be next time haha

I use a sawzall with a long metal or demolition blade between the frame and body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom