Rear Shock Replacement (1 Viewer)

Little worried about getting to the top bolts on the Rear shocks...any specific tools or advice anyone can provide for "getting in there" and properly torquing the top nut?

Thanks All!

re_guderian

SILVER Star
:lol: cut a hole in the floor. Seriously. Several threads on that here. I drilled my 2000 and it was awesome. I also changed out those rear shocks several times for various lift/shock combos over the years. If this is your last time you think you'll be doing the job, get a ratcheting wrench, crawl up underneath, and loosen that bolt 1/32nd of a turn at a time...

suprarx7nut

The YotaMD Guy
Supporting Vendor
It's not a big deal if you don't have much rust.

I've done changeouts on two different 100's and it was fine. Just need a strap wrench and I think a 22mm wrench. Definitely didn't need to break out the hole saw, haha.

When I did mine I didn't find it particularly difficult or the need for any special tools. I could see how someone might want a strap wrench though, but I don't own one and didn't need. I just used ramps and dropped the spare tire to make more room down there. I would never use a hole saw because I'm lazy to reach my hand up there. Then again I have no idea what rust is like, living on the W Coast

My '99 had the original shocks when I bought it last summer. That + I live in the midwest. No way those bolt were going to move. Tried lubricant, torch, etc... In the end, I went full ludited and used my super saws all to cut them off without incident.

If you want to go through the effort of breaking out a saw, take it to the shock and not the body.

C6H12O6

SILVER Star
I would suggest you double check the size of the top nut on the new shocks before you pull the old ones. I swapped out to Ironman Foam Cell Pro shocks and I think the nuts were different size than the ones I pulled off. It really isn't that tough, you just don't have a ton of room to move the wrench. A ratchet wrench is great. Even better if it's a flex head. Mine isn't and it was fine. Just slow.

It's not a big deal if you don't have much rust.

I've done changeouts on two different 100's and it was fine. Just need a strap wrench and I think a 22mm wrench. Definitely didn't need to break out the hole saw, haha.
What happened to the write up you had on your website?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom