Rear Coil Spring Replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Getting ready to replace my rear coils as the stock ones have 213k miles on them and they’re tired. I’m thinking about the dobinsons c59-223v. They’re progressive and only give ~1.5” of lift which is fine. I have no extra weight (bumpers, etc) and don’t plan on adding any. I wasn’t planning on lifting the truck, but the OEM coils are expensive and I like the idea of progressively wound springs.

I recently replaced all the other suspension components (shocks, sway bar bushings, end links and hardware all the way around as well as a brand new rear sway bar with all OEM parts) except the control arms. Those seem to be in good enough shape for now.

Does anyone have experience with these coils? Or any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!!

30mm spacers are an inexpensive option.
I’m not necessarily looking to lift the truck, more to improve the ride quality since the coils are so worn out. It just seems like the only aftermarket coils add some lift.

I think the 865 OME spring is the go to for stock type setups.. no personal experience

Hi all. Getting ready to replace my rear coils as the stock ones have 213k miles on them and they’re tired. I’m thinking about the dobinsons c59-223v. They’re progressive and only give ~1.5” of lift which is fine. I have no extra weight (bumpers, etc) and don’t plan on adding any. I wasn’t planning on lifting the truck, but the OEM coils are expensive and I like the idea of progressively wound springs.

I recently replaced all the other suspension components (shocks, sway bar bushings, end links and hardware all the way around as well as a brand new rear sway bar with all OEM parts) except the control arms. Those seem to be in good enough shape for now.

Does anyone have experience with these coils? Or any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!!
Interested in the same coil as you OP. I've just done a similar refresh expect did do front control arms. Like the sound of the c59-223v but haven't seen much feedback on it.

I’m not necessarily looking to lift the truck, more to improve the ride quality since the coils are so worn out. It just seems like the only aftermarket coils add some lift.

Why not buy a new OEM pair from Partsouq? If you aren’t looking to lift, why not? Most A/M options are lift, extra load, or both.

Reactions: GTV
Chat up @crikeymike at Exit Offroad for help in getting the right ones. Being oversprung is pretty awful. I have a set of Dobinsons progressive springs and love them.

Regarding cost of OEM (which seems like the right spring for your use case)—have you looked at Impex or Partsouq?

Really really like those dobinson progressive rate coils. Have been running them for about 3 years. Wish they made a front pair for my Tacoma.

Really really like those dobinson progressive rate coils. Have been running them for about 3 years. Wish they made a front pair for my Tacoma.

Remember that your stock coils have sagged over the years. The Dobinsons coils are for 1.5” over stock so you’ll likely get a lot more than that compared to your worn stockers. 30mm (≈1 1/8”) spacers on your stock coils will roughly put it back to where it was new. You can spend more money if you want but for your use case spacers will do the job perfectly. Shocks have much more to do with ride quality than springs.

Chat up @crikeymike at Exit Offroad for help in getting the right ones. Being oversprung is pretty awful. I have a set of Dobinsons progressive springs and love them.

Regarding cost of OEM (which seems like the right spring for your use case)—have you looked at Impex or Partsouq?
First place I checked was partsouq. They're out of stock there, but they're in stock at Longo Toyota for $460 (before tax and shipping) which is a decent jump in price from the Dobinson's. Do you have any extra weight on those springs?

Goof to know. I'm really leaning toward grabbing a set and trying them.
Remember that your stock coils have sagged over the years. The Dobinsons coils are for 1.5” over stock so you’ll likely get a lot more than that compared to your worn stockers. 30mm (≈1 1/8”) spacers on your stock coils will roughly put it back to where it was new. You can spend more money if you want but for your use case spacers will do the job perfectly. Shocks have much more to do with ride quality than springs.
...and they've sagged a lot. I re-indexed the torsion bars recently and noticed just how bad. It's also a pretty big jolt to the people in the back seat when I go over bumps too fast. I replaced all four corners with OEM shocks around 1k miles ago, so I figure I'm good there.

First place I checked was partsouq. They're out of stock there, but they're in stock at Longo Toyota for $460 (before tax and shipping) which is a decent jump in price from the Dobinson's. Do you have any extra weight on those springs?

Goof to know. I'm really leaning toward grabbing a set and trying them.

...and they've sagged a lot. I re-indexed the torsion bars recently and noticed just how bad. It's also a pretty big jolt to the people in the back seat when I go over bumps too fast. I replaced all four corners with OEM shocks around 1k miles ago, so I figure I'm good there.

Yeah, tons of additional weight on mine. Still, I like them and if it feels like the right thing to do height-wise, I wouldn't be scared of using them in your case.

Bummer on Partsouq.

Yeah, tons of additional weight on mine. Still, I like them and if it feels like the right thing to do height-wise, I wouldn't be scared of using them in your case.

Bummer on Partsouq.
I've found Partsouq to be hit and miss for stock. More hit than miss, but still.

Good to know about the weight. I'm ordering a set of Dobinson's now.

Please keep us posted! I'm working back toward stock height/ride myself. Did you see the new sway bar noticeably improving things on-road?

Also...would anyone be able to tell what kind of springs these are from this "A 0616" sticker? Or how much height they're giving me over stock?

IMG_9772.png

IMG_9074.jpeg

Last edited:
Please keep us posted! I'm working back toward stock height/ride myself. Did you see the new sway bar noticeably improving things on-road?
Will do.

It’s honestly hard to tell since I did all the bushings and end links at the same time as the sway bar. I can tell you that once I was done replacing all of it the truck handles much better than it did with the ~23 year old rubber and end links on it. Definitely worth doing.

I just picked up stock springs from Toyota, and discovered that there are two different, seemingly interchangeable heights. I ended up with two of the taller ones.
I have a 99 totally stock that I want to keep that way. Why are there 2 different height springs? The parts counter couldn’t explain why. Worse they are color coded and I doubt I will ever be able to tell the color coding on my 25yo springs.

Longer ones goes on left/ driver side due to higher weight of the tank

^ this!

I just picked up stock springs from Toyota, and discovered that there are two different, seemingly interchangeable heights. I ended up with two of the taller ones.
I have a 99 totally stock that I want to keep that way. Why are there 2 different height springs? The parts counter couldn’t explain why. Worse they are color coded and I doubt I will ever be able to tell the color coding on my 25yo springs.
Might it also be a difference of AHC vs non?

Regardless, it seems like a fair question since parts.toyota.com says all of the following are a fit for the right rear of an 06. Entering those back into toyota partsdeal shows it's probably safe to assume they're returning results for an RHD even though I enter my LHD vin.

48231-6A780
48231-6A680
48231-6A690
48231-6A770

(More informative) image here from toyotapartsdeal.com

IMG_9775.jpeg

IMG_9776.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom