Rear oil seal & retainer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Installing the rear oil seal today. The FSM glosses over the seal it seems. So I’m posting these pictures. Which way is right?

This way with the cup part of the seal out? Doesn’t look right to me.
A6119ECB-BE30-401E-896E-DC059C3143EB.jpeg

Or is this the right way? This looks correct to me
6E4A8EE0-0C13-40C7-976B-F3AAA5A8F793.jpeg

Install like it's shown in the second photo. When installing lip seals you want the lip facing inward towards the oil you're trying to strip off, in this case, the crank shaft.

Last edited:
My follow up question, what goes in these two holes? It doesn't mention them in the FSM. It simply states "(c) Install the retainer with the 4 bolts. " The holes are threaded so I am sort of assuming that something goes there.

1603232507748.png

If I remember correctly, dowel pins go in those holes you asked about.

EDIT: Found a picture:

View attachment 2471413
interesting... so now I’m thinking that I probably need to take the retainer off that I just put on. Is it a dowel pin?

And, how far should the oil seal sit in? Flush or pressed in?

9DCC5B31-B80A-4493-A68C-92E5A479A431.jpeg

Flush with the retainer. I found it easiest to put the seal in the retainer then put the everything on the crankshaft. Also, you put FIPG on the bottom part, right? That is the infamous rear pan arch that commonly leaks, you want that to seal well.

Flush with the retainer. I found it easiest to put the seal in the retainer then put the everything on the crankshaft. Also, you put FIPG on the bottom part, right? That is the infamous rear pan arch that commonly leaks, you want that to seal well.
Ok, so it needs to be taken off. then pushed out.

Yeah you could put a little grease on the seal lip so it easily slides over the crankshaft and the seal doesn't get dislodged from the retainer when you push it on. I also put a little FIPG on the outside of the seal before putting it in the retainer which helped it stay in the retainer. It took me 3 tries to get it right, but I hope to never do it again!

Looking to tackle this. I though I had it till I saw the retainer and got intimidated. I understand the retainer can be pulled off. My question is how do you put it back in place properly? New to wrenching and I always seem to break one thing when fixing another

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom