Rear Main Seal Replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The most common thing I hear of JTO is he sends stuff incomplete or sends the wrong parts. In my case I think I just got lucky because after 3 times of him saying "I'll call you back with a price" and never doing so I went elsewhere.

after many purchases I have found Specter Offroad (sor.com) to be the most reliable and best quality parts and accesories made. The extra cost is justified when you spend a few weeks with your rig torn apart waiting for parts and JT Outfitters won't return your calls or e-mails :flipoff2:

All my OEM parts come from Jay Marks Toyota with a 25% discount for TLCA members - http://www.toyotaworld.com/ yes, they mark the prices up some but I can get parts faster and cheaper than my local dealership can :flipoff2:

Jody,
Also the wheel seals look to be OEM parts. I could not distinguish them from the old seals when I sat them side by side.
On a side note: I am not trying to bash JTO, I have just had a couple of bad experiences wtih them and will choose to use someone else in the future. I would encourage you to buy from the suppliers that you feel comfortable with. JTO has good prices, but price ain't everything to me.

I would replace the remain seal. It is easier now than if it starts to leak in 3months or a year. When you replace it Mark Whately suggested in a back issue of trails to loosed the rear main bolts and slide it in and then tighten the mains back up. Check the manual for the torque settings as the rear mains are different than the rest.

I just purchsed a knuckle kit from www.cruiseroutfitters.com Kurt was helpfull and shipped the same day I ordered it.

[quote author=Design311 link=board=1;threadid=5653;start=msg44753#msg44753 date=1064499936]
I bought my knuckle kit from Heart of Texas Offroad and I am very pleased with the parts and the time it took to get it (3 days) I don't have their number but I do have their web address, although it looks to be under construction...
http://www.heartoftexasoffroad.com/
[/quote]

He is currently rebuilding his web site but I think his number is 1-866-FJnotCJ, Robert is the guys name.

On JT, I ordered the clutch kit because they advertise Aisin pressure plate and clutch disk. The plate is made in Japan so may be Aisin, the clutch disk is DK. When I asked, they said their supplier says it is Aisin and they never open them up to look.

On the rear main, you are already in there, replace it. I have 220k on my '87 and it leaks like crazy.

Brandon

I would do the rear main. I just did clutchs in my 82 fj40 and 86 fj40, I did rear mains in both, as well as the oil pan gaskets, I used all OEM parts, heck I even replace the stupid $50 bag of seals on the flywheel cover.....yeah I could have resued the old stuff but I wanted it done right and do it once.

John H

You would be best served by replacing the rear main, with an OEM seal, while it's apart.

The seal is a 90311-99001

Going that far and not "finishing" the job is like taking a shower and putting your dirty shorts back on.

D-

if aint broke dont fix it?

what happens if the new main leaks.

just stirring :D

I have had issues with JTO also, nice guys, but slow and alotta times when I called to ask them technical questions bout their products, it seems like they are talkin outta their arses :doh:

I've ordered bout 3k worth of parts from MAF also, the quality of their knuckle kits are great, but on one order they messed it up and then messed up my refund and them managed to messup in sending me the correct part. It was a freaking mess and my frameoff sat for a month waiting for parts.

I order all my parts now from SOR, they have their heads on their shoulders, not up their arse :cheers:

Yo Han

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=1;threadid=5653;start=msg44814#msg44814 date=1064512124]
You would be best served by replacing the rear main, with an OEM seal, while it's apart.

The seal is a 90311-99001

Going that far and not "finishing" the job is like taking a shower and putting your dirty shorts back on.

D-
[/quote]

one word........commando :flipoff2:

Bought my knuckle kit from SOR, as usual, good stuff and an alright price fast n easy. Tried both HOTO and Cruiser Outfitters (both have good kits from what I've heard) but neither had drum brake rebuild kits in stock.
As far as the rear main, replace it, and my #1 choice is the C-Dan OEM Smart Shopper Discount. :D. I have a JTO Clutch in mine, only reason is cause I was stranded in NC with an exploded clutch and needed parts fast. Luckily they sent me the right thing and it got there the next day. $230 is what I paid, seems pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom