Rear Main Seal Leak....šŸ¤¬ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TLC2013

SILVER Star
Threads
Over the past month I have been noticing oil drops coming off my 2013's bellhousing and landing on the skids. Each time I'd clean them off they would reapear as soon as the LC was driven. The Leak was small enough that the dipstick was still showing full over the month I was monitoring the leak. Dealership performed a Leak test and confirmed a leaky rear main seal to be the cause. I had a sinking suspicion that this was the issue.
They will be pulling the tranny to make the repairs. While they are in there doing this job is there anything else I should have them take care of? I am nearing 95,000 miles so first thing that comes to mind is the starter but I dont think these jobs cross over. Can anyone confirm ?

20201115_174506.jpg

20201115_174745.jpg

Geez years ago first thing I would do is tighten those bolts up around the leak. But you have an appointment set up so. The transmission can be drained and the screen cleaned. Fuel pump done yet?

Sorry to hear of the RMS leak. Not a common issues with these motors but it does have the potential to happen in any motor.

I assume it's already been checked that the engine oil is not overfull? May also want to check the PCV valve to make sure it's working/not plugged and crankcase pressure is being properly scavenged.

If you do need to go forward, the starter is somewhat peripheral but there will be labor saved. Pulling the tranny will require pulling some exhaust underneath which is at least half the work to getting at the starter.

Good luck!

Thanks @TeCKis300 .
The pcv has been replaced recently and my oil levels were initially 2/3 of a quart high on the dipstick. I was hoping this was causing the drops on my skid but After removing the excess oil I was still seeing the drips coming from the bell housing a week later.
Dealer wouldnā€™t budge much and wanted 3 hours labor for the starter. It will have to wait on as this repair came out off right field. Crossing my fingers this is my last big repair for some time.

If it helps with timing and budget, an RMS seal weep is not really critical to fix right away. Not unless there's an appreciable oil volume loss. It's slightly messy to the undercarriage but the motor will happily run reliably even with a leak. I know we expect better of our Toyota's but many lesser cars and European cars have a nasty regular habit of this.

If it helps with timing and budget, an RMS seal weep is not really critical to fix right away. Not unless there's an appreciable oil volume loss. It's slightly messy to the undercarriage but the motor will happily run reliably even with a leak. I know we expect better of our Toyota's but many lesser cars and European cars have a nasty regular habit of this.

Maybe just route the oil seepage to the KDSS valve screws to keep them rust free šŸ¤”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom