rear locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a 2000 LC with 124k miles 2 months ago to replace my beloved '95 montero SR after my wife totalled it (she's fine). Now found a 1999 LC with rear locker switch and am trying to decide whether to trade. Question: Is the newer system (minus the factory rear locker) as capable with the torque distrubution as the 1999 version off road/ on obstacles without modifications? Should I jump on this 1999?

You bought one already. It does not make sense to trade it again and profit the dealer or pay tax again (depend on your state tax this might not really apply to you). Just install ARB if you really want one. The traction control are almost impossible to retrofit to the older model.

Welcome to the club. I also upgraded from 95 Montero SR to 99 LC about 4 years ago.

Utah, stick with the 2000. If you truly want the locker, like augie said, throw an arb locker on. That way, you have safety and security of Trac/VSC and capability of a locker.

Do a few searches. There is quite a debate about this, with many arguing that the A-TRAC is better than laocker inmost situations. Of course, there are many that argue otherwise.

I've got a 2000 and think the A-TRAC is great. I was looking at a peice of property today. It has a rough as h*ll utility easement through it with a hill I wouldn't even attempt in my '96 Grand Cherokee (which, in spite of the flames it gets on this board, is not bad off road). The 100 climbed it so easily it almost wasn't fiun. The A-TRAC light came on a few times on the dash, but it never slowed down.

Stick with the 2000. If you want a locker, drop one in. I doubt you will need it.

Best of luck.

Thanks -- I've been going through the archives and found similar advice for the most part. I drove the '99 and was surprised at how much more I liked the '00 on the road. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it. I took my stock '95 montero SR over the Moab elephant hill loop and was surprised at how well it did. Any thoughts on the stock '00 land cruiser's abilities in comparison?

I agree with the group, keep the 2000, get an ARB locker if you find that you need one. With the older truck, you'll lose the important electronic safety features that cannot be easily upgraded to (if at all - though, I guess, anything's possible with enough time and money...). I'm assuming, of course, that it will mostly see road duty?

On the Montero, haven't driven one so can't compare, but based on what I've read, I think the 100 will spank the Montero (last two generations).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom