rear locker not engaging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
good evening, my rear locker on my 1990 LJ 78 isn't engaging, i turn the switch and can hear the motor running on the rear axle yet the light keeps flashing, I've tried driving back and forwards slowly but its making no difference. i have pulled the actuator apart and cleaned it and it is working fine. any idea where to look next. my 4wd drive selector is also playing silly buggers, the 4wd drive only comes on when the hub switch is on and the 4wd switch is off, as soon as i go into low the 4wd switches off, anyone get any ideas on this one too.

thanks

Are you sure the locker isn't engaging, or is the indicator just not working? Could the locker indicator switch or wiring be faulty? You could try jacking up the rear axle and spinning the wheels with the locker switch on.

Remove the plug from the sensor and hot wire the ends...a little bit of wire in a "U"... if your dash light is solid then it's either a pooched sensor, an extra washer on sensor or it's not locking. If the dash light is still flashing then it's wiring.
If you drive figure 8's you should be able to feel, hear and/or see evidence of being locked even if the light is flashing.

i jacked it up last night, one wheel at a time and with the locker on the axle isn't locked so i think i have something internal going wrong, which i'm sure is going to be cheap lol

Since you are hearing the motor!
Did you line up the match marks when you rebuilt the actuator motor?
I wouldn't be the first one to screw this up.
Lock the axle manually, verify that it's locked and with actuator in lock position reinstall.
The FSM will illustrate the match marks and speaks to installation in lock position, and leaving switchs in Lock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom