Rear locker mod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
Is there a mod to allow the rear factory locker ('99 LC) to be engaged in 4H?

I have not heard of one BUT that would be one of the best mods IMOP.

The rear factory e-locker will only engage if you are in 4Low...not 4Hi.

Open you passenger side kick panel. Look for a relay box about the size of the cigarette box. Find the black wire with blue stripe and cut it and then connect it to +12 Volt. I just tap the Blue wire with black stripe or you could also use miniature toggle switch from radio shack to make you alble to swith it back to stock with a flip of a switch.
rear diff lock relay.JPG

Last edited:
Great...I will give it a look hopefully tonight. THANKS!

spressomon,
out of curiosity, why do you want to use the locker in 4hi? i guess i'm sorta of loving the on/off feature and had never thought about using it in 4hi.
thanks,
scott

Last fall we were wheeling, while hunting, down a very long, straight, flat very muddy road. We happened to have been in a Suburban...and we almost didn't make it out. I think it would have been benefitial to have had the Cruiser with the rear lockers locked and in 4H for the best 'propulsion' through that situation/road.

Granted these types of situations don't happen very often...but I think being locked in 4H would have been much better and more secure...

I agree. Sometimes you just do not want to go 5mph when you need a rear lock. I can think of many time I have been in a pasture and needed the rear locked but did not want to be in 4low.

Augie said:
. I just use tap the blue wire with black stripe or you could also use miniature toggle switch from radio shack to make you alble to swith it back to stock with a flip of a switch.
Augie:

What does this mean?

Thanks.

By using the swich you would be able to bypass the low range switch to let you run rear locker on Hi range and still able to put it back to normal so nobody would be able to accidently put the locker on on high range. Its just another safety feature.

Augie said:
Open you passenger side kick panel. Look for a relay box about the size of the cigarette box. Find the black wire with blue stripe and cut it and then connect it to the ground. I just use tap the blue wire with black stripe or you could also use miniature toggle switch from radio shack to make you alble to swith it back to stock with a flip of a switch.

Augie,

OK...I just did the 7-pin mod to make the center diff control manual instead of low range only. Your instructions sound the same as for the 7-pin as this mod includes disconnecting a black wire with a blue stripe on the transmission relay box (which is found behind the glove box door).

Is this indeed a different mod? Or perhaps the same mod as the 7-pin for center diff?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan,

That is the right location. Center diff lock controler are located next to the ECU behind the glove box.

The rear diff lock control relay are located on the passenger side kick panel like the picture above. You need to connect the Black wire with blue stripe that is coming from the relay box to the Blue wire with black stripe (+12 volt).

Last edited:
Thanks Augie...I'll tear into that tomorrow night. Question: Why does the wire/lead need to be grounded and not just disconnected like the center diff wire/lead?

Thanks,
Dan

The purpose of this is to bypass the transfer case low range detection switch. By bypassing the switch, the relay always think the transfer are in low range thus enabling the locker to be engaged at any gear.

From the picture it seems the wire color are Blue with black stripe and connected to White with black stripe. I will try to email you the wiring diagram tonight to confirm wire color.

Last edited:
Thanks, again, Augie!

Reviving an old thread...
Has anyone else done this?

Do I understand it correctly that I can simply tap into the Blue Wire with black line and permanent connect 12v to it? This will allow me to use the locker in hi-range?

I just want to make sure that I understand the instructions properly. Did the 7-pin mod today, this will be the next mod. :)

I forgot how to do this exactly. Did mine about 3 years ago. Its only cutting one wire and wiring it to one of the other that carries +12 Volt. Let me dig the wiring diagram again and see if I could post it here.

Edit: Just realize you have 105 series. My wiring diagram most likely would not match yours. Yours should be more like 80 series wiring diagram.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom