Rear locker mod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Augie

I would appreciate if you would post the diagram. The 105 series is much closer to the 80 series in many ways and in other ways close to the 100. I just need some guideance here. :)

Can I supply any 12v source to the cut wire? Is the new connection point where I connect the 12v power source attached to the side of the relay?

Here is the diagram for my vehicle. Now I just need the pointers. :) Where must I connect what?

Last edited:
It looks completely different than mine. Send me the whole diagram and I might be able to help you. The color code are even different.

Check your PM. I need your email to send my wiring diagram. I could not attach the Pdf file here.

Augie, I will take photos and send it later. Mind you, I might even have the wrong diagram. I will forward it asap. Cheers

Augie

I have taken photos of the two pages of diagrams. I have left it fairly large for detail (3MB each). Here is the link to it. It is from the Max Ellery repair manual.

Page 1
http://ladybirdfilms.biz/photos/LC/mods/rearlocker/Diagram P1.jpg

Page 2
http://ladybirdfilms.biz/photos/LC/mods/rearlocker/Diagram P2.jpg

I am still of the opinion that the our lockers and wiring is the same. See pics attached.
Locker%20ECU.jpg

Thanks for all the help and assistance.

Augie

I have figured it out. The Back wire with blue trace gets a 12v signal from the transfer case when LR gets selected (The Transfer L Position Detection switch close the circuit in thus supply the 12v).

When in HR the voltage is 0V thus once can not engage the lockers. I have tapped into the Black wire with BLue trace and via a switch supply 12v (from another source) to the wire when in HR thus allowing me to selected the lockers in hi-range.

So in LR the lockers engage as per normal. In HR I select the 12v switch that I implemented which allows me to use the lockers. :)

Cool, implemented and test.
Thanks for all your help and assistance.

This mod does not seem as widely-implemented at the 7-pin, thus I am more nervous to start cutting electronics.

Have there been any developments on this mod since 07 when it was last discussed?

I had done a similar mod in my 4runner and liked it.

Thanks.

I too am interested in this mod. When in sand dunes, locking the rear would be useful in 4-Hi.

I've been temped and the price is right so I may give it a shot soon.

Lock rear diff in 4hi

This may have been done before but Being dumb as a box of rocks with this computer I can't find a diagram or description to do this mod. If possible could someone post something to assist with this mod.:)

ABS was/is not effected...at least on mine.

This is not the mod that the rest of this thread discussion is on.

It was in line with my interest regarding the center diff lock and rear diff lock functions and how they might be modified.

Ouch! Please accept my most humble apology for having offended you.

It was in line with my interest regarding the center diff lock and rear diff lock functions and how they might be modified. Ouch! Please accept my most humble apology for having offended you.

I just wanted it to be clear that the mod in the link you provided does not allow you to engage the rear locker when in 4 HI.

Thanks for the 7 pin mod for the centre diff. I did that yesterday and it works very well. Now I need to mod the rear diff to get lock in 4 we'd high as in outback Australia there are occasions where I will require to drive long distances (+ 50 to 80 miles) on greasy flat red mud roads where low range will kill mileage and the cruiser. Thank you all for the input so far.

Thanks for the 7 pin mod for the centre diff. I did that yesterday and it works very well. Now I need to mod the rear diff to get lock in 4 we'd high as in outback Australia there are occasions where I will require to drive long distances (+ 50 to 80 miles) on greasy flat red mud roads where low range will kill mileage and the cruiser. Thank you all for the input so far.

I'm interested in this mod too, but I must say, doesn't locking her rear locker cause the rear end to behave more squirrly in the greasy situations you describe? In my experience, locking the rear diff while driving on a snowy road makes the truck a little scary in terms of its tendency to fish tail and want to swap ends since the diff is locked. Going around turns I can drift easy with the rear diff locked. When left in fulltime mode it's very hard for me to drift around a turn or fish tail. I have to work at it. I expect you'll find locking the rear diff on higher speed greasy mud drives is going to change the driving dynamics in a negative way. I've always considered the rear locker a "get me unstuck, over this rock, up this slow crawling loose dirt hill" type of tool.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD while navigating gnarly trail. Typos are inherent.

^ I've used 4H, rear locked on occasion...mostly running down a nasty muddy trail/back country road. It's just 'another tool to have in the toolbox', not a panacea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom