Rear Leaf Spring Design (Question) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know why the OME Emu Dakar and Dobinson Rear Leaf Springs have the two flat leaves on the bottom, with the bottom leave shorter than the one above it? I thought the flat bottom leaf was an overload leaf. This seems to be some kind of inverted overload design. Does this add strengthening without stiffening the Spring. Does this make for a stiffer ride or a softer, more flexible suspension? I’m just curious and couldn’t find anything that explained it.

Thanks!

IMG_4854.jpeg
IMG_4853.jpeg

It would allow for a softer spring rate (smoother ride) while limiting how much the suspension could be fully compressed and theoretically increasing the longevity of the springs, If the springs are inverted too far they'll loose their arch.

Whether or not they work well or not is hard to say. I understand the physics behind the design, but I'd go by the reviews about how they work and hold up.

I think I get it now. My old OME Springs have fout (4) curved leafs on top, and a thick flat leaf on bottom. These have three (3) curved leafs on top and two (2) flat leafs on bottom. So I guess that results in a softer, more flexible first stage Spring while maintaining the lift height by adding the leaf below. Does that make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom