Rear Jump Seat Replacements (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I've been looking on Mud (and other places) for... well, over a year now, for replacement rear jump seats. I know there are a million threads on replacing the jump seats with a bench seat, but since I'm not trying to fit car-seats back it's not really what I'm looking for.

Right now I've got some pretty rickety, stock (probably) long-styled jump seats in the back of my 40, but they're ancient and tired. I'd love to swap them with some classy looking, single-seat jumps, but so far I've had almost zero luck finding anything. I know Rover's North (http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductD...LACK-FRAME---ELEPHANT-HIDE-VINYL&showcart=yes) sells something similar, but that price tag is enough to make me ask... not to mention it's a landrover part place and I'm sure it would find a way to break.

Anyone here ever replace their jump seats with something nicer, but still the same style?

The later models with rollbars had smaller jumpseats.

There are a couple versions of the FJ40 jumpseat - your version (the long ones) was the earliest. The ones from 72/3 - mid 75's (like my 75) are the first of the smaller jump seats. I believe they were made smaller to fit between the roll bar. I'm not sure exactly when the final change happened, but at some point in the mid-to-late 70's, they added a folding seat support to the bottom of the seat to prop it up. This is probably the one you'd want to retrofit, if you were going for any of the stock seats. As for aftermarket - I have no idea. Land Rovers are the only other trucks that come to mind with the side-facing jump seats.

Are the frames on your existing seats shot, or is it just the foam/covering? They sell replacement seat foam and upholstery in a number of different places (Cruiser Corps, CCOT, SOR, etc.) you could just re-cover your existing ones. If the frames are rusted out, my best suggestion would be to find a set of stock, late 70's or early 80's seats, and retrofit them.

DAP in VT used to sell these foward facing jump seats I always thought interesting... i have seen alot of high back seats recently

LRA061-forward-jumpseat.jpg

The seats are OK right now, but they don't have the bottom support so they point toward the ground, and the previous owner replaced the seatbelts with something pretty dysfunctional at some point. I could probably salvage them since there's really no rust, but mostly I was just looking into other options. Everything's still on the table at this point, I guess--might even just build my own, looking at the prices of everything else.

Those Dap seats look awesome, though. Too bad I don't think they're sold anymore, but even still...

Anyway, thanks for the help you guys! Definitely got my ball rollin again

You can fix them. The reason they point towards the floor is that someone "jumped" on them before. Contrary to their name, they're not up to the task. Take off the covers and foam and bang the bottoms flat with a big mallet. I've fixed two sets and they're fine as long as you don't stand or jump on them. If you're ambitious, you could weld a piece of flat stock into them and make them stronger. They don't really need the support, IMO.

do you have a roll bar?... when people use a roll bar they use a spacer to bring out the seat... and then you need to move the wheelwell bumper so it comes in contact with the wheelwell .... or.... maybe you do not have the bumpers on there?

pics?

I had a jeep seat recovered to match buckets - built a tool/storage box across the back and mounted the seat to the hinged lid. great storage for that wasted space. Also mounted rear speakers to the front of the box. I do not know how to post pics. but pm me cell # or email ad and I will send some.

You can fix them. The reason they point towards the floor is that someone "jumped" on them before. Contrary to their name, they're not up to the task.

I laughed!

I will have to get some pics soon. I've had the jump seats out of the truck over winter while I was doing some things, so I can't remember all the details at the moment. I do have a roll bar, though, but I suspect it may be aftermarket judging by the branding all over it.

DAP in VT used to sell these foward facing jump seats I always thought interesting... i have seen alot of high back seats recently

View attachment 877438

Those are sweet. I really like the forward facing jumps especially when doing much riding on the road. I had the long OEm ones which were perfect for our herd on the trail.

Hi all,

I've been looking on Mud (and other places) for... well, over a year now, for replacement rear jump seats. I know there are a million threads on replacing the jump seats with a bench seat, but since I'm not trying to fit car-seats back it's not really what I'm looking for.

Anyone here ever replace their jump seats with something nicer, but still the same style?

I noticed that the rear seats on a HZJ78 looks quite similar to that on the FJ40. I wonder if it can be made to work on your truck. HZJ78 is still being made by Toyota today and sold in many countries, excluding the United States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom