rear jump seat options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have being meaning to get around to making this post but i have not had time really :rolleyes: ... but any ways i wanna see what or hear what people are doing for rear seats the long jump seats......... like in a 1972 cruiser casue i recently put in my cage and as everyone may know the seats dont fit anymore :doh: i have seen a braxcket kit from man-a-fre years ago but now cant find it :rolleyes: what are my options??? whos got a kit out there for my seats please i love having the funky side by side jump seats i think they look soooooo COOL :grinpimp: thanks again guys :)

The SOR kit looks pretty close to the Man-A Fre version I bought thirty years ago. For my 68FJ40 there are two tabs on each leg instead of one. The roll bar was a Smitty Built that had a plate welded on to the sides that bolted into the threaded holes for the seats. The u shaped bracket was mounted with the roll bar than the seat was nut and bolted to the other side of the bracket. I'm not sure why SOR shows to different size brackets all my were the same size. After installing to side backets mark the two back legs mounting holes, drill and bolt. The arm rest leg will be inside the fenderwell so you will have to make your own bracket, at least with the old Man-A-Fre kit you did.

John

Nothing like making a weak link weaker! I would never install one of those kits, regardless of the manufacturer, and expect ANYONE I care about to sit in that. I am not super impressed with the sheetmetal tabs on the back of the long jumpers to start with.

On three of my customer's rigs that had the same issue, I replaced the sheetmetal tabs with 1/8 thick tabs. Then I welded 2" wide, .125 strap across the inside of the rollbar for the seat to bolt to. Cut the rear armrests in the horizontal part of the arm and shortened it up until it would fit back in the stock holes. I've seen others bend the armrest backwards until it lines up.

As far as the rubber stop under the seat cushion, an angle iron extension from the wheelwell will work if you have no other options. I used ConFerr's rear storage boxes that ran alongside the wheelwells for the jumpers to rest on.

sorry to jump just jump in on your thread with another question, but after reading this i realized that i'll be in the same boat. mine dosn't have a roll bar and was planning to put one in when i got the money, but just looking at it seemed like it would be really tight. what did they do when they came from the factory with the stock roll bar? or did you have to special order it, and what did they do with the jump seats with a roll bar in it?

The older 40's with long jump seats never had roll bars.

Saddlebags

I built these saddlebags out of 3/4" plywood which I use to
support the rear seats and hold my jacks, extra tools, oil ....
Don't even have the little metal tabs connected.

Last edited:
Does it really make a difference how you connect the seat? As long as it bolted down solidly wouldn't the seat belt be taking all the force in an accident? I mean the occupant of the seat would have far more mass than the seat itself. I would not feel that the rear jump seat is the safest place to be in an accident anyway. I think there is a safety reason all modern seats face forward not sideways. :)

Jump seats look cool but, ask any kid who has ridden back there how it felt when his head hit the roll bar or the the inside of your hardtop! I run a 3rd bucket seat back there for my kid.

rgentry said:
I built these saddlebags out of 3/4" plywood which I use to
support the rear seats and hold my jacks, extra tools, oil ....
Don't even have the little metal tabs connected.

thats a neat idea, but why not just weld a peice of angle iron acrosse the wheel well instead? that would give mor foot room.

Hey green40, got any pics of that setup, I will be having to do that as soon as I get mine as I have to put a child booster seat in, and they can only face forward. The '76 I am in the process of buying has the shorter jump seats because it has a roll cage. I want to temporarily take them out and fab up something that will fit a forward facing bucket seat...

Anyone with home made jobs with pics?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom