Rear hub bolt sheared off?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.polarsteps.com
IMG_4728.JPG
IMG_4725.JPG
IMG_4725.JPG
IMG_4725.JPG
Currently in Iran with the following problem - bolts of my rear wheel hub have sheared off. Any ideas what could have caused this?!? Was driving along the road, everthing seemed fine till I lost complete drive to the rear wheels.
Off to a mechanic now - any specific things I should watch out for?

IMG_4725.JPG
IMG_4725.JPG

Too loose wheel bearings can do it, or if you're unlucky a bent axle.
Or, accidentally leaving your rear locker on with high grip (if you have one)

Last edited:
Axle looks fine, so might be the bearings. Can I drive safely for a few hundred kilometers till I can get them replaced if the bush mechanic here can replace the bolts and refil the diff?

Yup, loose wheel bearings or (less likely) improperly torqued axle studs can do this. More than likely the bearings, looks like your hub nut set screw has been pulled before so the preload might have been off.

As for driving without the axle, if you're stuck doing that I'd at least tape up the hub end to limit diff oil blasting everywhere and contaminants getting in the axle. Lock your rear diff (if you can) and take it slow. Or just drive in 4H.

Good luck!

Does anybody know the bearing size? Think I need to find a non-oem replacement. Recon I can't get toyota parts here in Iran (sanctions etc)

I can't find dimensions sorry, but Koyo and SKF do hzj75 (drum rear) bearings, and both have a presence in iran.

Make sure your mechanic uses a dry gasket. If you use silicone it has a tendency to make the flange connection not as strong. It looks like the outer axle seal went bad then started leaking gear oil into the flange. I wouldn't assume your bearings are bad unless there is play in that side. Give it a good wiggle and see if there is any play. If not, get the old studs out, replace the seal, use a dry paper gasket and torque it back down. I torque full float studs to 35lbs with blue loctite rather than lock washers as they have a tendency distort at that torque.

IMG_4767.JPG
Thanks for all the answers guys. The local mechanic in the village did a bodge fix, see photos. Liquid gasket, new studs which look fine and 'pins' made from a bolt and a piece of rebar?!
The wheel is partly so black because of the spilt oil but also due to our side exhaust blowing soot onto the rim.
Will drop by the toyota dealer in Tehran to check the bearings

Update: actually had two of the six bolts shear on the other side when I checked how tight they were :( So taped and tie wrapped it to reach the dealer

Had everything replaced including new bearings at the dealer in Tehran - better safe that sorry! Got to love the money here ;)

How often do you guys check the axle bolts?

IMG_4785.JPG
118c5b03-00c1-45e2-bb4d-6e7c05860027.jpg
IMG_4807.JPG

Digging up an oldie, but just wondering if you had any further dramas with the same issue occurring after this?

Digging up an oldie, but just wondering if you had any further dramas with the same issue occurring after this?

No trouble on the left side which had a complete new hub and bearings (since driven 45k km's).

On the right side I only had the studs replaced in Iran, not the whole hub and bearings. They sheered again in Namibia (20k km's later). Had them replaced and haven't had trouble since (25k km's later). They guy in Namibia really knew what he was doing, had seen this happen often and he attributes it to over torqueing. Accidently he actually ordered the later model larger diameter studs to then discover we still have the old design. So Toyota has solved this issue on later models.

Anybody got part #s for the studs, cones, nuts, and gasket? My (HZJ75) right rear just grenaded driving down the road yesterday. Gonna replace both left and rear sides ASAP just to be safe.

EDIT: dug these #s up (in case it helps anyone in the future
Pin x4 90250-07057
Stud x12 90116-08325
Cone Washer x12 42323-60010
Washer x12 90201-08042
Nut x12 90170-08204
Gasket x2 43422-60040

FYI, all parts seem to be readily available in the US—same parts as FJ/FZJ80 it seems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom