Rear hatch lock switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got an odd issue, my rear hatch lock switch is inoperable. The actuator locks and unlocks from all other key switches and door lock switches. All door locks work as intended except from the tailgate key switch. I pulled the tailgate cover and checked the electrical connections, the plug and the one on the back of the key switch, they’re okay. The electrical switch is turning with the lock when I turn the key but not unlocking or locking (actuating the locks) from the tailgate switch. Any advice on where to look or check.

I have the exact same problem. Posted on it awhile back (“Rear Hatch Key Inactive” is title) and never found the cause/solution.

Will be following this thread.

Check the wiring under the lower tailgate trim panel (the one that flips up when you close the tailgate), if you flip it up and look there is wiring under there. It was severed on my 2001. John

. . . The electrical switch is turning with the lock when I turn the key but not unlocking or locking (actuating the locks) from the tailgate switch.
Two questions:

1. Is the switch on the lock mechanism supposed to turn with the key, or is there a broken tab or something that's supposed to keep it stationary while the key turns? I've never had eyes on it myself...

2. The wiring diagram for the key switch is below. From the rear of the connector (wire side) you can try shorting EITHER the Blue-with-white-stripe wire OR the green-with-black-stripe wire to the chassis to see if the doors lock or unlock. You can unplug the connector if it's easier, but it's not necessary. If the locks actuate then the problem is with the switch contacts (dirty?) or mechanism (see #1, above). If shorting the wires doesn't have any effect, then there's a wiring fault somewhere between the hatch and body. But those two wires are just sitting there waiting to be connected to ground to actuate the locks.

BTW, those two wires are simply piggy-backed off of the driver and passenger door lock switch wires, so it's not an ECU issue.

IMG_2340.jpg

Two questions:

1. Is the switch on the lock mechanism supposed to turn with the key, or is there a broken tab or something that's supposed to keep it stationary while the key turns? I've never had eyes on it myself...

2. The wiring diagram for the key switch is below. From the rear of the connector (wire side) you can try shorting EITHER the Blue-with-white-stripe wire OR the green-with-black-stripe wire to the chassis to see if the doors lock or unlock. You can unplug the connector if it's easier, but it's not necessary. If the locks actuate then the problem is with the switch contacts (dirty?) or mechanism (see #1, above). If shorting the wires doesn't have any effect, then there's a wiring fault somewhere between the hatch and body. But those two wires are just sitting there waiting to be connected to ground to actuate the locks.

BTW, those two wires are simply piggy-backed off of the driver and passenger door lock switch wires, so it's not an ECU issue.

View attachment 2572585
The mechanism inside the switch is moving. It’s keyed to the rear of the lock cylinder once it’s clipped on. So, I would say yes it is supposed to turn. Thank you for the diagram, I’ll get out there tomorrow and check the wires to see if they’ll work once shorted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom