Loose and Rattling Rear Hatch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a way to adjust the strikers or latches in the bottom part of the rear hatch? I have a 2000 LC and the rear hatch rattles pretty bad. When I close the bottom part of the hatch and I pull it back and forth, there is a good amount of play (1-1.5mm). This creates a rattle when I'm driving down the road. I'm hoping this is and easy fix and I can just adjust something.

Anybody else experience something like this?

How is the rubber seal located at the bottom of the top hatch? if it is not soft, try replacing it.

Are the botls holding the latch tight? MIne was once loose and made the door light indicator to come on the dash.

Is there a way to adjust the strikers or latches in the bottom part of the rear hatch? I have a 2000 LC and the rear hatch rattles pretty bad. When I close the bottom part of the hatch and I pull it back and forth, there is a good amount of play (1-1.5mm). This creates a rattle when I'm driving down the road. I'm hoping this is and easy fix and I can just adjust something.

Anybody else experience something like this?
I'll have to look on my hatch when I get home. On some vehicles, if you look at the latch on the vehicle, it may be slotted, and you can slide it back a little which pulls the door in further.

Not sure if the LC has this actually since it's a split hatch. Maybe you could adjust it from removing the tailgate carpet and getting a look inside? Just guessing here, will look more later and report back.

There are two bumpers on either side of interior facing glass hatch. They are located in such a way that they will apply pressure against the tailgate and latch when it is close and prevent rattling etc. I’d be willing to bet you are missing one or more and/or they have been distorted to such a degree that they no longer serve their purpose. I believe they are about 7$ each. Still available from Mr Toyoda

Also.. I have notices that the license plate and or rear license plate trim garnish can become lose due to broken clips etc and make an annoying rattle. The license plate itself can also rattle. I like to use self adhesive felt tabs and also cloth backed electrical tape to shim and remove rattles

IMG_7033.jpeg

IMG_7035.jpeg

Unless the hatch and latch has been absolutely ragged on .. I would not think it needs any adjustments. Try the rubber bits first IMO

Thanks everyone. I have ordered some new weatherstripping. I have the rubber bump stops and they seem to be functioning properly. After I have the new weather stripping installed I’ll report back.

Thanks everyone. I have ordered some new weatherstripping. I have the rubber bump stops and they seem to be functioning properly. After I have the new weather stripping installed I’ll report back.
Im intrigued to hear how the weather stripping install goes. Do you know what's involved with that, new clips or sealant , or is it just a remove and replace deal ?

Mine is compressed and let's alot of dust in and it all gets sucked up by the rear ac intake . I've been wanting to replace it but don't wanna make it worse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom