Rear Gate/Door ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
members.sounddomain.com
When I replaced all the rear panels on the tub, I didn't bother putting the ambulance doors back on as they were rusted right out at the bottom and as a result, wouldnt' close properly (read: hit a big enough bump and they just start flapping in the wind)

Wonering if you guys would post some pics of what you have for a rear setup?

Was going to just get some sheet metal and brace it and use that as a tailgate (but just bolt it in, don't need it to fold down)... but need some more ideas for the top

Thanks!

You can buy a metal tailgate panel. It bolts on to the hinges or into the hinge mounts on the tub. Has a spot for the liscense plate to mount. Cheap, around $50 most places. I use a piece of 1/2" plywood for years, worked fine.

The P.O. of my corrosion farm put in a tailgate with hinges at the bottom, cut the lower half of the ambulance doors off, and made door bottoms out of sheet metal. The outer doorskin is long enough to lap over the top of the tailgate and keep water out, and the top door latch on the drivers side keeps the thing latched closed.

My buddy uses a plywood panel he whipped up a few years ago. It has brackets to bolt to the hinge mounts (I think). He uses it in the summer when he's running the soft top or the bikini.

:eek: thats probly worth $$$ and pretty hard to find! nice for ya!

It is worth money. Why don't you ask Ehsan and he might tell you! (Are those for sale as well, Ehsan?)
a buddy of mine has one of those cheap diamond plate tailgates. So cheap and flimsy it doesn't belong on a cruiser. If I had the fortune to own a 75+ cruiser I'd probably try to find the rear doors from a <74 and either retrofit or modify them to open and close like a tailgate, probably using 2 stock hinges on the bottom, and finding another stock latch so there would be one on each side. That would be functional and look stock which = cool IMHO.

The PO on my 74 used 1/4 inch plate to make the tailgate. He used th stock hinges on the bottom and used two of the latches just like the one on the spare tire carrier at each top corner. It has chains on each side on the inside to hold up the gate when it is down,just like the old truck tailgates. I put bike intertubes around the chains to keep them from rattling. This makes a VERY sturdy tailgate and it looks stock to most people.

I have a fiberglass tailgate. Kinda sucks that I can;t open it, but am in the process of changing that. I am having a box built for the back, with a main sliding drawer. I am going to attach the fiberglass tailgate to the sliding drawer, so it slides out when I open it.

[quote author=ScottFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=5440;start=msg45571#msg45571 date=1064720303]
I have a fiberglass tailgate. Kinda sucks that I can;t open it, but am in the process of changing that. I am having a box built for the back, with a main sliding drawer. I am going to attach the fiberglass tailgate to the sliding drawer, so it slides out when I open it.
[/quote]

Keep in mind that if you have to slide that drawer out to get, oh, say, recovery gear and your ass end is wedged up against a tree or a rock your outta luck!

Just something to think about. Access is the key to storage.

my 2 cents
Scott

[quote author=fj40crusher link=board=1;threadid=5440;start=msg45581#msg45581 date=1064728473]
Keep in mind that if you have to slide that drawer out to get, oh, say, recovery gear and your ass end is wedged up against a tree or a rock your outta luck!

Just something to think about. Access is the key to storage.

my 2 cents
Scott
[/quote]Great point, maybe I better incorporate a 2 entry system, maybe some "trapdoor" type access on the top?

yeah that'd be better, i know i had to smash the top of my storage box last week when i was busted up against a tree and needed my recovery stuff. so i gotta repair mine now :)

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=5440;start=msg45600#msg45600 date=1064755766]
yeah that'd be better, i know i had to smash the top of my storage box last week when i was busted up against a tree and needed my recovery stuff. so i gotta repair mine now :)
[/quote]Time for some top access now? :D

1/2" plywood is the only way to go. It's cheap and doesn't rust. I got mine cut at Home Depot for free. The lower amby door hinges hold it in place. I ran a ground wire to the license plate lights to keep it legal. I was also thinking about adding a piece of angle to the bottom and bolting it to the lower striker holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom