Rear Fold Down Tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have located a 70 FJ40 that has the fold down tailgate instead of the swing out doors. Is this a rare item and if so what do they usually go for. Is this setup better than the swing out doors. ???

The drop down gate came on factory soft top cruisers. It is rarer than the swing out gates, and price depends on the condition.

There is work on making factory replica drop down gates and from what I understand they should hit the market soon. When that happens the price for the real ones will probably come way down, I think they go for way too much on ebay as is.

If your cruiser has that now, I would leave it that way. It requires quite a bit of drilling and such to switch over to the other kind. Personally I like the drop down gates, but that is just my opinion.

I believe only softtops came with the drop down tailgate, not sure. I wouldnt worry about that as far as determining what its worth. should be able to get a 70 in decent driving shape for 2 or 3,000
depends what you like as far as which style doors.

you can always change to swing outs if you dont like the drop down. what I like about the swing outs is theyre different--they didnt put them on heeps :D

Drop down tailgates were also on 45 SWB pickups

I believe all the 70 fj40 series came with the tailgate instead of the ambulance doors, my 72 did and i'm pretty sure thats stock. not 100% on this but pretty sure

I believe all the 70 fj40 series came with the tailgate instead of the ambulance doors, my 72 did and i'm pretty sure thats stock.  not 100% on this but pretty sure

You are correct in that they didn't have the ambulance doors, but depending on it being a soft top or a hard top determines if it had the split gate or the drop down gate.

While most if not all US factory soft tops get the swing down tailgate, non-US soft tops can be had with half doors (type B) or ambulance doors (type C). Some hardtops come with swing down tailgates too.

Dave

yes, and my 74 also has the drop down style with hatch on top...obvioulsy a hard top. i like it better than the amby doors...for taligating!

Thanks for the replies. One last question though.

Would putting on a hard top create any problems with the tailgate style with sealing and all.

From just looking at the tailgate, my answer is no, you should not have any sealing problems. I wonder if you can still purchase weatherstriping for the tailgates tho? I know you can for the swingouts.

My '75 had its soft top replaced with an older style hard top and it fit perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom