Rear FJ60 Leaf Springs on my FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I'm a newbie, so please go easy. I have a 72 FJ40 project I'm basically just starting. This is a resto-mod and I'm doing a 2001 LM7 and full width axles. My specific question is this. I hear or have read where a popular swap is putting FJ60 rear leaf springs on the rear of the 40. My install will be a Spring over as I plan on 3 linking the front with coil overs. Specifically my question for those that have done this or seen it done here, can you give detailed specifics as far as springs to use, flat or lifted, spring count you used , did you relocate your rear hangers and what length shackles did you use? Or if someone can point me to a thread with this info I would be very grateful. TIA!

My intention is to do King Coil overs in the front with the 3 link. I worry about linking the rear with Large coil overs and eating into space in the rear wheel well and next to the rear bench seat where my kids will ride. This isn't going to be a competition rig. I'm looking at 60% street and beach and 40% medium to difficult trail time. I want an extremely capable trail rig with a comfortable street ride and be able to lug my 2 small kids in the back. in both places.
I used an 80 series rear axle in my 40 with factory 80 series coils . The shocks are mounted so the shock towers actually only cut into the tub at the rear by a very small amount - maybe 1" on either side. you could still run a narrow bench seat in the back with all of the room that is left between them. Since you are going full width anyhow maybe regular coils would fit and allow you the room you need for the kid's seat? I know I still owe you a pic of my 60 springs in the rear of a 40 but I could getting a pic of my rear setup so you can see how much room is left. Coilovers are not required to get a very flexible soft ride and sometimes the packaging is a bit better. I run a double triangulated 4 link in the rear and 60 series springs in the front w/a suck down winch to keep the chatter from the leaves to a minimum. Most people don't realize that a front suck down on leaf springs works extremely well . I still keep up with full tube frame rear steer buggies, sometimes I make climbs that they can't . :cool: Most of them hate it when I do it, especially because I still run toyota axles.

My first run took a bit to get started but I ended up in 3rd place after day 1. My rig is the one of the last to go . They call it "the Goblin"

4 linked rear 40 inch tires. Coilovers and not any cutting into the tub.

D80FCFF8-8AD7-4007-B171-68ECB54CE591.jpeg

447FD693-A195-43FE-B8E9-E7F89297BA61.jpeg

how is the ride with those on the front?
It rode much better than before. A lot less stiff. The rear 60 springs were about the same length as the rear 45 springs. The springs were OME 60 rear springs and I removed all the overload leaves and one other leaf. It also got fj60 power steering. Overland Cruisers has the troopy now.

You can break a shackle in the forward position on rock ledges. ...or at least get jammed up on it
I think bent leafs are likely the biggest risk in forward shackle arrangement. Do you think or have experience that a forward shackle arrangement proves better for crawling as the axle is "pulling" the truck up versus "pushing" the truck up? In shackle reversal it seems the axle wants to try and walk out from under the truck.

My intention is to do King Coil overs in the front with the 3 link. I worry about linking the rear with Large coil overs and eating into space in the rear wheel well and next to the rear bench seat where my kids will ride. This isn't going to be a competition rig. I'm looking at 60% street and beach and 40% medium to difficult trail time. I want an extremely capable trail rig with a comfortable street ride and be able to lug my 2 small kids in the back. in both places.
You can do a hybrid and not encroach in the rear bed. A linked rear with a 1/4 eliptical or full leaf spring , double shackled

IMG_3142a.jpg

IMG_3148a.jpg

IMG_3150.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom