Rear Disk Brake Kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear wheel cylinders are leaking on my 1975 FJ40 and I wanted to put disk brakes on the rear anyway ::)so, whose kit is better?
I was looking at BTB, JT Outfitter and Downey's. :-\
I liked JT's with the mastercylinder. The mastercylinder should eliminate the need for a proportioning valve.
Anyone used any of these and have some input?
I reviewed the tech section and don't want to modify disc to amke them work. I am more of the kit type of person.
Thanks

I did mine with JT Outfiter bracket, and pulled calipers hose bracket and pad from a monte carlo. check with your local yard because that caliper is on a tone of vehicles. I got $26 rotars from schucks and had the center machined out to fit the FJ. My total cost was $143 with the purchase of a double flaring tool from harbor freight.

when you pull the calipers from the doner cut the hard line BEFORE the bracket. Cut the bracket off adn take the caliper, flex line, bracket and part of the hard line.

When you put it in, undo the nut for the GM flare fitting, cut your cruiser hard line just before its flare, slide the GM nut onto your hard line, reflare the cruiser line and weld the GM bracket to your axle.

Work great, no leaks, looks factory, BETTER YET only took about 2 hours after rounding up all the parts.

HTH

I can sell you the brackets, rotors, flexlines, calipers, and the fittings to hook everything up. Everything will be new (calipers are remanufactured). The only thing you will need to buy is the hard lines that go from your T-block to the flex lines and the brake master if you want to go new. The reason I don't include the hard lines is for shipping reasons but I will let you know the sizes you need and the cost for the hard lines is about $8 bucks. I sell the kit cheaper than the suppliers you mentioned and shipping is included. I make around $100.00 per kit I sell, so I am not in it to get rich. If you are interested pm me or email me @ jstark34@msn.com.

I would stay away from JT outfitters was I you. they shorted me some parts that I ordered, and every time I got back w/ them, they said ohyeah, we'll ship those right out, and I never did get em.

[quote author=79fj40 link=board=1;threadid=4729;start=msg35800#msg35800 date=1062040395]
I can sell you the brackets, rotors, flexlines, calipers, and the fittings to hook everything up. Everything will be new (calipers are remanufactured). The only thing you will need to buy is the hard lines that go from your T-block to the flex lines and the brake master if you want to go new. The reason I don't include the hard lines is for shipping reasons but I will let you know the sizes you need and the cost for the hard lines is about $8 bucks. I sell the kit cheaper than the suppliers you mentioned and shipping is included. I make around $100.00 per kit I sell, so I am not in it to get rich. If you are interested pm me or email me @ jstark34@msn.com.
[/quote]
Sent you PM!

sorry to post this a little late. but i installed most of the kit from JT Outfitters. i bought there brackets, rotors, and master cylinder. i used a set of calipers off of a 82 cadilac because they have a emergency brake lever. i also used 45mm long wheel studs i got from my parts guy. i installed it a week ago and it works great stops straight and on a dime. the hardest part was attaching the emergency brake cables i used the ones off the cady and just trimed them to the leanght i needed to reach myFJ40 cable witch i cut and attached to the others with cable clamps, it takes a little adjusting to get it right but it works great. downey also makes a kit for the emergency brake cables but they want $99.00 bucks. also get the stainless steel brake lines from man o fre ($99.00) they have a set of four, two for the front calipers and two from the frame to the axles, then go to TSM. (the street rod manufaturing co.) they have the hoses for the t- fitting to the rear calipers and there only $50.00 bucks and that should do it you wont beleave how good your brakes work when your done. hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom