Rear differential: What do I have? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I opened my rear differential today so I could pull the rear axles and it looks different than the haynes manual diagrams. Is this an oem set-up or after market? Are the gears in the photo on top of the lockright box for the rear differential, are they gears that would have been oem or are they an after market kit (or neither). I bought somebody elses project and recieved some extra parts with this 78 fj40. I can figure out most of the repairs with the fsm or haynes manual but the misc. mods and upgrades by the po really make it a bit confusing for a first timer like me. Thanks in advance for any help, this forum has been the best tool for this rookie!

Patrick

rear differential 2.JPG

rear differential.JPG

differential gears.JPG
rear differential 2.JPG
rear differential.JPG
differential gears.JPG

I opened my rear differential today so I could pull the rear axles and it looks different than the haynes manual diagrams. Is this an oem set-up or after market? Are the gears in the photo on top of the lockright box for the rear differential, are they gears that would have been oem or are they an after market kit (or neither). I bought somebody elses project and recieved some extra parts with this 78 fj40. I can figure out most of the repairs with the fsm or haynes manual but the misc. mods and upgrades by the po really make it a bit confusing for a first timer like me. Thanks in advance for any help, this forum has been the best tool for this rookie!

Patrick

View attachment 120392

View attachment 120393

View attachment 120394

Thanks steveerb! Are the parts in the last pic the original toyota components from the stock set up?

i'd say that those would be the OEM gears that came out when the locker went in.

I think that you should pull the locker, and go back to stock configuration

and then box up the locker and mail it to me :D

Thanks for the replies! Should I leave it installed? I intend to use this rig for mostly on road use, pulling a small boat and limited off road use.

doesn't sound like you really need it, but if it's already in there, I'd leave it and see if it is a PITA or not, if it is, pull it then

Thanks for the help gladly! I'll leave it installed and give it a try.

You have a Lok-rite in there, the last photo is of the stock (factory) side gears, spider gears, spacer block and thrust washers.

Yep. It looks like a lockrite.

Why are the carrier bearing caps removed?
The lockrite goes in/out without having to remove those or the 3rd member.

Thanks for all the replies! I removed the bearing caps to clean everything inside the differential. When I first tried to drain the rear diff nothing would come out at all. After removing the cover I found it was packed full of a heavy paste like substance, what a mess! So I tried to scrape it out which was nearly impossible, finally I used a mapp gas torch to heat up the greasy mess and it flowed out pretty well. Is all I had intended to do was pull my axles so that I could remove the drum brake backing plates and powder coat them since I was replacing wheel cylinders, shoes, lines etc... Amazing how these projects escalate! So, does anybody know why my rear differential was packed full of greasy/paste?? Thanks again to everybody on the forum for sharing their vast knowledge.

By pulling those end caps you just created a much bigger job for yourself. I hope you marked the orientation so you can put them back on the correct side to get your preload set back up. The paste you found in the rear axle is probably ancient dried up 90 wt. residue. If you don't know how to set preload or have never setup a diff you are about to learn how to or you will need to take it to someone who can.

Great! Anybody know of a particularly good thread on how to set the preload? I did mark the orientation so I can put them back on the correct side.

Thanks Belmont148! Great article, thanks for the link. Looks like some more quality time in the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom