Rear drum brake wheel cylinder install, what do I have incorrect?. ***see pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
1965 FJ45 LPB is the model. Doing the first drum brake front right. Wheel cylinders rebuilt, new shoes, and springs. They were apart when I received it so going by manual. Seems both springs go behind shoes if I read correctly. The left wheel cylinder spring is very close to adjuster. Adjuster on the left side will not turn. Do I have something wrong? Thank you..,

IMG_3513.jpeg

IMG_3516.jpeg

IMG_3514.jpeg

IMG_3513.jpeg

This is one of those tech items that I wish SOR would correct on their website. At some point in time (later than ‘65‘) when the brake shoes got that pin and clip in the middle of the shoe to help hold the shoe in place (it’s actually a pivot point for the shoe to help with alignment) the spring orientation became like @B y r o n states above, one in front, one behind. Before then, both springs went behind the shoes. That’s what your configuration is @Wadesters since you’re a ‘65. Can’t tell from your pics though why your having interference between the spring and the adjuster. Is everything with your front hubs, et al, still ‘65 dated? Also, thread title says “rear” but first post says “front.” Makes a bit of difference on cylinder orientation.

On a related note, do you‘re adjuster contacts with the shoes have slopes? Nolen @wngrog has a post on that and the orientation necessary for things to work properly. I’ll try and find that if he doesn’t jump in.

Last edited:
Thank you! I looked at a picture on line and also a manual I had and showed both springs in the back. I had to remove a wheel cylinder, install springs and shoes, then “shoe horn” wheel cylinder back in. The adjuster on that side now will not move. Makes sense one spring would be in front. However there is a stud on that side of Al wheel cylinder that will still be very close or touching housing.

Not sure about slopes or what that means.

You are correct with spring orientation for your year, I would offer that the wheel cyl you have are the later model ones which are a larger dia. unit, I bet if you can find the ones specific to that year you will find they fit. A call to Cruiser Outfitters would clear it up.

You have wrong cylinder in there. They are left front, left back. right front, right back, all specific. Adjusters should be to the outside away from your spring.

Here's my 69

i-7BRcPSH-L.jpg

While I had mine off the truck I took the adjusters apart cleaned them then lightly greased the threads so the adjustment action is smooth and struggle free.
They tend to both stick at the threads and in the bore if they are anything like mine were. Mine got a total overhaul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom