Rear Defogger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

96FZJ80

SILVER Star
Threads
I searched but the threads I found were about the rear defogger not working at all. It appears mine is working - just not very well. Tried to use it for the first time I can recall today in rainy cold weather. It's performance was less than stellar. I had one grid line that appeared to work "ok" and a couple little circles (which after reading up on how these work I don't even know how that happens - I think there is either voltage through the grid line or not, not just in one spot in the middle of the window). After I got home I did some reading, reviewed the testing procedure in the FSM, and had a close look at the grid while trying to test (testing was somewhat unsuccessful but could be a function of my skill, darkness, cold or the old/cheap meter). I'm going to pick up one of those test light things to check it all again - that looks way easier. After having a close look, it appears that the vertical bars of the grid are really thin/worn out. I'm starting to think I need to "paint" the entire grid (verticals and horizontals) with the Dupont 4817 or sub. Tried searching the internet for a source for the Dupont 4817 and couldn't find it. Couldn't really find any one product that stood out with lots of good reviews, etc.. There is a permatex kit that includes epoxy and a tiny bottle of the paste but I hope to just tape off around the grid and re-"paint" all the lines so probably need more than comes in that little spot fix kit. Anyone have a success story doing this and/or a recommendation for the paste? Pics below of the performance and then the driver side and passenger side connections (can see how thin the paste/coating is there).
upload_2019-1-23_21-22-56.png

Defogger driver.jpg

Defogger passenger.jpg

have you looked at these?
Legacy Defrosters – Frost Fighter

After checking mine out, 1/2 of them are dead and dead for quite a ways in the middle of the glass. I was thinking of scraping off the whole thing and replacing it as a unit.

have you looked at these?
Legacy Defrosters – Frost Fighter

After checking mine out, 1/2 of them are dead and dead for quite a ways in the middle of the glass. I was thinking of scraping off the whole thing and replacing it as a unit.

You will hate yourself trying to remove that paint and tint, did you know a rear window is $1000, at the dealership I am going to go paint first

hummmm, may need to re-think that plan.

I think I'll try to repaint the whole grid first (if I can find a product to do it with) but if that doesn't work I found a YouTube video on installing the Clear View defroster grid and that looks pretty simple.

However, I guess I'm missing something on the "scrape it off" plan. Seems that would be pretty simple with a flat razor. No? Is tint removal somehow involved with this?

My back glass was leaking from the PO. I had it replaced under my insurance policy. Normally insurance won't replace it if it's not chipped or cracked, but if you call and wait to get someone apathetic enough, they don't care why you want a replacement. That's how I got new back glass for $free.99. Might work for you or someone else reading this.

However, I guess I'm missing something on the "scrape it off" plan. Seems that would be pretty simple with a flat razor. No? Is tint removal somehow involved with this?

I would assume the tint, even factor, is a film on the inside of the glass. If you take a razorblade to the defogger you will damage the tint. I guess some factor tint is embedded in the layers of glass but not sure on the LC.

This hasn't worked on my rig since I got it almost 5 years ago. Or it may have worked a tiny bit and died along the way, I never tried to use it often enough to keep track. It's always been on my list of things to look into but never high enough to make it. Anyway, mostly just subscribing so I can see future posts.

That's how I got new back glass for $free.99.

I really hate to tell you this, Nothing is free, it may seen that way, but you'll pay for it through higher insurance rates.

I've got a friend who is an insurance broker, He's been selling car and home insurance for over 30 years.

He told me every time you place a claim, even if it's just a glass claim, the insurance company will use that claim as a factor to determine your new insurance rates when you come up for renewal.

People actually think that isn't the case? Not trying to be an a******, just genuinely curious. I thought that much was know by the majority of people with common sense. I always just assumed it came down to personal preference of when (and more importantly, how much) you pay for it, whatever it may be. I suppose the insurance claim is a bit like a loan. It takes a number of years to pay off. The difference is you end up paying it off X times more in the end. **** insurance companies, IMO. They rank up there with drug companies in the manner they operate..

EvanD my insurance broker told me that the kind of customer that insurance company's want, are the ones who never file any claims, pay their premiums in full, and on time.

And if you do file a claim with one insurance company, and they raise your rates, don't think you can just jump to another one to escape those higher rates.

Insurance company's now all talk to one another, they have a rating system for their customers, kind of like your credit rating.

Based on your insurance "rating" or if you like your likely hood of filing a claim, will have a BIG impact on what you'll pay for insurance for years to come.

If you had an excellent rating with your insurance company before you filed your first claim, that claim may, or may not cause your rates to increase when you renew your insurance, But it all depends on your insurance company.

If you happen to file more then 1 claim within 1 year, and you don't have an excellent rating with your insurance company you can count on your rates being increased for the next 3 years.

If you have filed more then 3 claims in 1 year,, you'll be looking at increased rates for the next 5 years when you renew.

File more claims then that, you very well may have a hard time finding an insurance company who wants to write for you, and those that will are going to want an arm and a leg.

In order to get the lowest insurance rates possible after filing more then a few claims, or if you happen to be a less then desirable customer. You'll need to remain claim free for a minimum of 5 years, plus having an excellent credit rating helps too, big time.

You're all right, I shouldn't have said it was free. After all, there is no free lunch. And I couldn't say how it would affect anyone else.

I did look into it though. Rear glass would have been $447 and front glass would have been $289, or $736 without insurance.

That was 15 months ago that I had them replaced. My rate is basically the same as before the glass (no other claims). Maybe $5 more per month (it's not super easy to decode). So $736/$5/month = 147 months or 12 YEARS until State Farm would break even on the glass payout with a $5 rate increase, if you could even attribute the $5 increase to the glass, which I sort of doubt. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Maybe I am missing something. I always learn more about insurance whenever I look into it. But the impact of the glass in my case is negligible.

It may have something to do with the several times insurance companies have screwed me over that I'm a bit bitter.

I suppose it's a derail but last April I paid, or so I thought, 6 months of auto coverage. The withdrawal was pending in my online statement for the proper amount. I headed off for 6 weeks of various travel, often out of cell service and didn't think about it again until I got back. When I got back I had a no payment notice so I called. I was told I was all paid up. Granted, this was through the automated system which identified me by my phone number. Fast forward a month and I get a cancelled coverage notice. This time I call and talk to a person, who admits that their system had my number linked to the wrong account, but all the same there is zero chance of reinstating coverage. There rep admitted the error and they still gave zero s***s about a long time customer with very few claims. So I end up getting bent over for 6 months by another company because of the lapse in coverage. I admit I should have done more due diligence and at least checked through my bank statement, at least when I was told I was paid up.

Anyway, based on those numbers, I agree it seems like a good deal. I wonder what goes on behind the scenes and if that claim will cause more rate increases in coming years. I also have an insurance broker friend who has told me similar things to what others have posted. I hope it isn't true but the natural skeptic in me kinda thinks it is.

Now that we have that all sorted out...

I contacted permatex to see if the product included in their kit 09117 is available for purchase in larger quantities to repair more than a few inches of grid. Will report when I get any response.

I have filed for a new roof on home and 3 new windshields. Windshields were free, no deductible, roof cost the $1000 deductible. That has been since 2012. I have paid less every year for my car and home. I shop my insurance every year and have only stayed with the same company one time for a period of 18months until another company beat their rate. I'm currently paying less than I was in 2012. It's a free market, excersize your right to shop

I have same prob and @beno quoted a lot less than dealer if memory serves.

I’ve been curious how repairs like this successfully work. Please keep us posted on what you come up with and document with lots of pictures. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom