Rear control arm question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will be removing & replacing bushes in my rear control arms and panhard bar this weekend.

What is the best way to support the vehicle while doing this? Jack stands under the axle so that the suspension is loaded, or jack stands under frame with suspension being mostly unloaded.

Of course - only one bar at a time.

Same here, just do it on the ground. If anything moves just use a ratchet strap to line it back up ..

If OE rubber bushings, remember to tighten the fasteners at ride height, otherwise you'll be preloading the bushings.

I replaced all 5 control arms about 2 months ago. Remember to loosen the nut first. I took the spare tire off and kept the car at ground level. Remove one control arm at a time and replace with the new. It took less than 2 hours to complete all 5 arms. Rear-end of the lower control arm has a white line marked on the metal tube, make sure to get it towards the rear when mounting. If possible apply anti seize to the threads. Passenger upper arm rear bolt hits the coil spring, I used a ratchet strap to pull the coil spring to make some room.

Neither for me, just unbolt them and remove. Remember that one side, can't remember which it is, nut or bolt, has lock marks on the face, so hold it from spinning.

Down on all 4 appears to be the consensus. Thanks!

I replaced all 5 control arms about 2 months ago. Remember to loosen the nut first. I took the spare tire off and kept the car at ground level. Remove one control arm at a time and replace with the new. It took less than 2 hours to complete all 5 arms. Rear-end of the lower control arm has a white line marked on the metal tube, make sure to get it towards the rear when mounting. If possible apply anti seize to the threads. Passenger upper arm rear bolt hits the coil spring, I used a ratchet strap to pull the coil spring to make some room.

Thanks for the coil spring hint & match mark hints!

If OE rubber bushings, remember to tighten the fasteners at ride height, otherwise you'll be preloading the bushings.

Some might not like this, but i'll be giving the SuperPro poly kit a try. No worries about preload, thanks!

Thanks all! Will let you know how it all turns out.

Some might not like this, but i'll be giving the SuperPro poly kit a try. No worries about preload, thanks!
I assume you have a press, right?

If you watch 4WD action series on Youtube, Shauna said not to use ploy bushings. Due to its rigidity, you may see some cracks on the brackets soldered to the axle housing. I'll stick to rubber bushings.

If you watch 4WD action series on Youtube, Shauna said not to use ploy bushings. Due to its rigidity, you may see some cracks on the brackets soldered to the axle housing. I'll stick to rubber bushings.
I've searched you tube for this video, found the channel. Haven't yet been able to find this video.

Could you provide a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom