Rear Bumper Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nope. I've tried emailing Brandon twice, get nothing back. I have texted Tanner multiple times, he tells me to email Brandon because they are working in separate shops right now because they are moving shops. I think this is also part of the reason for the delays. I'd just appreciate some communication, I don't care if it's late. Just wanna hear from the guy.
Same As you. A little communication goes a long way. I was only able to speak to Tanner but no luck with Brandon including emails. I don't care if it's late as well but it's turning out to be a Gobi experience all over again. I had to wait 17+ weeks with radio silence for my Gobi rack.
Just wished he emailed every one on the order list telling us there's a delay-which would I would've been fine with.

Hey guys, I apologize if I haven't got back to some of your emails. I've been focusing most of my time in the shop and then I get through as many emails as I can in the time that's left. Some get buried. If I haven't replied to you, please send me another email and I will.

We did move shops and temporarily have the shop split between two locations while we put up a building. That along with material issues and everything else going on right now has us a little behind. But we brought on another guy and are putting in long hours at the shop trying to get caught up as quick as possible.
Thank you for your patience and I apologize for the longer wait for some of you.

The only down side to this bumper design is the tire carrier. The top part of the carrier is very close to the body of the FZJ. It will actually will make contact leaving a mark. I used some rubber pieces to cover and its been fine.

Hey Matt, The top part of the tire carrier shouldn't be that close. It should be about 1.5" away from the truck. Something is going on...

I'd check by opening up that arm and if you have a straight edge or something similar.. the top of the tire carrier should be even with the vertical edge of the inside of the arm. If it is, then my guess would be that the bumper might be pushed too far onto the truck. You should be able to loosen the bolts and shift the bumper back to give you better clearance. If the top of the tire carrier overhangs the inside edge of the arm, then something happened when it was assembled. Let me know and we'll send you another one.

Hey guys, I apologize if I haven't got back to some of your emails. I've been focusing most of my time in the shop and then I get through as many emails as I can in the time that's left. Some get buried. If I haven't replied to you, please send me another email and I will.

We did move shops and temporarily have the shop split between two locations while we put up a building. That along with material issues and everything else going on right now has us a little behind. But we brought on another guy and are putting in long hours at the shop trying to get caught up as quick as possible.
Thank you for your patience and I apologize for the longer wait for some of you.
Thanks for the update Brandon. Glad to hear you have some extra help in the shop. Really looking forward to seeing all your hard work go to use on these 80s!

I meant to post an update sooner but...I was slacking. I received my bumper a couple weeks ago and got it installed. Overall, I am pretty happy camper! Shipping was quick and the installation was straight forward. My only regret is not ordering a jerry can holder for the other arm when I ordered the bumper. That will be resolved in the near future.

This is the only rear bumper that I have purchased so take my pros/cons with a grain of salt.

Pros
-Ease of install
-Strong arm struts with zerks on the hinge
-Adjustable tire position
-No rattles
-Nice lines with a tight fit to the body

Cons
-I have to have a con for a pros/cons list.
-I had to slightly clearance one of the bottom bumper holes. Easy fix and this could be a an issue with my frame so not really even a con.

I hope to add some action shots later but in the mean time...

Well packaged!
PXL_20210812_175823534.MP.jpg

Tight fit in the back of the Cruiser
PXL_20210812_180314907.jpg

Unpacked and staged
PXL_20210814_133321000.jpg

Using the right (s)tools for the job! :rimshot:
Ribbet1629983964.jpg

PXL_20210822_212521122.jpg

The only hiccup for me was finding the bolts from my tire hoist. I had removed it a while back and failed to keep the hardware. They are 8mmx1.25 FYI.

Last edited:
I meant to post an update sooner but...I was slacking. I received my bumper a couple weeks ago and got it installed. Overall, I am pretty happy camper! Shipping was quick and the installation was straight forward. My only regret is not ordering a jerry can holder for the other arm when I ordered the bumper. That will be resolved in the near future.

This is the only rear bumper that I have purchased so take my pros/cons with a grain of salt.

Pros
-Ease of install
-Strong arm struts with zerks on the hinge
-Adjustable tire position
-No rattles
-Nice lines with a tight fit to the body

Cons
-I have to have a con for a pros/cons list.
-I had to slightly clearance one of the bottom bumper holes. Easy fix and this could be a an issue with my frame so not really even a con.

I hope to add some action shots later but in the mean time...

Well packaged!
View attachment 2769535

Tight fit in the back of the Cruiser
View attachment 2769536

Unpacked and staged
View attachment 2769537

Using the right (s)tools for the job! :rimshot:
View attachment 2769539

View attachment 2769538

The only hiccup for me was finding replacement bolts from my tire hoist. I had removed it a while back and failed to keep the hardware. They are 8mmx1.25 FYI.
How long ago did you order? How many weeks/months was the wait?

Avid stays backed up, a bit of a victim of their own success, but I have been very happy with mine and am fine to say its worth the wait.

I ordered mine about
I ordered mine beginning of June. Iv stayed in touch with Brandon and he has just told me some parts are coming back from bending and my assembly will start soon. I imagine October or November putting 5hem about 4 to 6 months out as they usually mention when ordering. Iv heard only good things and the phrase, "it's worth the wait". So I imagine I won't e disappointed.

Hey Matt, The top part of the tire carrier shouldn't be that close. It should be about 1.5" away from the truck. Something is going on...

I'd check by opening up that arm and if you have a straight edge or something similar.. the top of the tire carrier should be even with the vertical edge of the inside of the arm. If it is, then my guess would be that the bumper might be pushed too far onto the truck. You should be able to loosen the bolts and shift the bumper back to give you better clearance. If the top of the tire carrier overhangs the inside edge of the arm, then something happened when it was assembled. Let me know and we'll send you another one.
Good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom