Rear Bed and roller drawers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys
I haven't posted anything for ages and so thought it was about time I put up some pictures of the Interior mods I've made to my HJ60. We'd been travelling around with just a mattress in the back and the rear seats out, but then we had a baby and so I had to try and work out how on earth to fit 2 adults, 1 baby, a fridge, all the camping gear (chairs, stove etc.), a decent size bed, a cot and still have space to breathe!

First thing was to take out the rear seats and install the new front console I made. (I've got some pics of this that I'll upload later)

1.jpg

Next was to build up the front legs of the bed that had a lid for the front console and 2 flaps that will fold out to extend the length of the bed (it'll make more sense as it goes along)

2.jpg

This next pic show the flaps in more detail. I got the spring loaded hinges from a caravan shop and they lock in place either open or closed.

3.jpg

This leg assembly slots into the front console.

4.jpg

As you can see the seats fold forward and the flaps fold up to fill in the gap, when you fold the flap down you can then fold the seat back to its normal position.

5.jpg

Then I slotted 2 horizontal beams across to the rear roller draws. (I haven't got any pics of the roller draws being made unfortunately but later on I've added some more detailed shots of them.) and placed a flat panel across the top.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Then I put the seat back in on the other side. As you can see it folds down below the level of the panels.

8.jpg

9.jpg

So basically thats the 3 seats in, usually I have a baby seat in the rear for the little guy. When I want to turn it all into a bed I simply place a piece of wood across on top of the seat that slots into the roller drawers at the rear and the legs at the front.

10.jpg

and I've made a panel that folds up (so I can store it easily) that sits across the top.

11.jpg

12.jpg

When that panel isn't being used it stores away on top of the roller drawers. Securely attached with webbing straps so it doesn't collect the little guy in the back of the head whenever I brake!

14.jpg

The view form the back of the car shows how much bed space there is. Its a s wide as a queen size and about a foot longer. There is a fridge to one side though but I sleep on that side and I hardly notice it at all.

15.jpg

The fridge is on rollers bought from a kitchen/ hardware supplies place

16.jpg

and the same with the big roller drawer

17.jpg

Last thing was a couple of shots of the front console, 1st one showing the Inverter attached on the end.

18.jpg

and this one showing the main storage space and the map pocket. The big space goes all the way down to the floor and holds a laptop, camera, wallets etc. or at a pinch almost an entire case of beer! It locks usinga window lock I got cheap from the local hardware store.

19.jpg

Everything is basically plywood coated with carpet I got cheap from a wholesale place that had overruns and leftovers.

If I was to do it again it would be really cheap but it ended up costing quite a bit (in both money and time) because I was basically making it all up as I went along and had to redo everything about 15 times!

I hope you like it.
I'm going to post some pics tomorrow of the hanging cot I made that folds down from the roof over the foot end of the bed for our baby to sleep in.
We've used it all a few times now and it works a treat!:cheers:

That is really sweet. What a great use of space. I love the folding panels. Nice work

Looks very well thought out. Great use of the space.

Nice work! Is the fridge powered? If so, how do you manage the wires going in and out?

I also like the pulls on the drawers.

the curtains are a nice touch

Very nicely done, excellent work and I really appreciate you taking the time to document this by photographing this so well in the various stages of folding down/installation, providing a quality explanation on how everything fits into place, again, top notch work.

I also think that may be the most plush carpet I've seen in a 'Cruiser.

Mmm. Split rear seats, very cool

Good job on everything, it looks awesome!

Very nicely done!!! Thanks for the writeup!!!:cheers:

Looks Great

Great job on the mod and the write up! That looks perfect for me to do since my wife says I spend more time with my beast than I do inside the house!!!:D

Beautiful work, Hey where did you get the split rear seat? That would be a great mod by itself. Cheers

Thanks Guys

Thanks heaps for all the nice stuff you guys have been saying. :)

Hi CREEKER
yeah the fridge is powered by the second battery, I've run the wire under the carpet and then into the space behind the fridge draw. At the moment I've left it long enough to stay plugged in when you pull the fridge out but I really need to put the cord on a spring or something to stop it getting caught when I roll the drawer back in. The pulls on the draws I got from a friends guitar shop, they are handles from the side of Amp cabinets.

Hi PISMO62
The car came with the split rear seats, its a high roof safari that was the big luxury model back in 85, which of course now means it has stuff like electric windows that don't work properly!!

Talking of the High Roof, I thought I'd post some pics of the Hanging cot I built above the bed.
This is it all folded up into the roof,

2_1.jpg

2_2.jpg

and This is it folded down,

2_3.jpg

2_4.jpg

to get into it I've made zips on the front panel that open up.

2_5.jpg

2_6.jpg

Theres a plywood base which sits inside to give it stiffness

2_7.jpg

Its attached to the roof in anumber of spots but the main weight of it plus the offspring is held by 2 steel bars which are bolted driectly to the frame of the car. Theres 2 webbing strips with breaking strains of some ridiculous amounts that loop around these and run uner the whole thing. The 2 straps that loop around from the front are there just to hold it up in the roof when its all folded away.

2_8.jpg

The red strip across the roof in front of it covers another steel bar that is attached to the points where the rear air conditioning unit used to be (it never worked so I pulled it out). I was a bit suss about whether it would be strong enough but I've climbed in there to try it out and it holds me fine!!

Its all made from tent fly mesh and webbing strips from the hardware store plus some stiffish black fabric. Now I've gotta own up and say No I ddn't sew it all, my long suffering wife was drafted in to do that! You could probably fit it all into a normal roof but having the high roof means that it all fits up out of the way of the back window so rear vision isn't impaired at all.

Cheers

That's way cooler than the drawers!!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

Very nice. Well thought out, cleanly done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom