Rear Axle leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first post here at this forum.

I have a 97 LX 450 with about 105k miles. I bought it in 99 with about 40k miles. My wife has been driving it for the last three years hauling kids and stuff around town. This truck has been wonderful to us. Recently, I got all the fluids flushed and belts changed as part of the 100k anniversary. I also got the front and rear bearings repacked a few days ago at a local mechanic. Today, I noticed gear oil leak...albeit a small one from the rear driver side wheel cap. How bad is this? Is it a busted seal or just a compromised gasket? Are the rear axle bearings in this model supposed to be lubricated by the gear oil constantly (semi-floater?) ? There were no leaks before this job was done so I am sure the leak has something to do with the repack...

I checked the other three wheels and they seemed to be O.K. What other things I should be checking for as my confidence in this guy is pretty shaky right now?

I will taking the truck back to him on Monday...at the first sign of daylight!

Please help and Thanks.
Options

Welcome!
Should be easy to figure out with minor detective work.
Sounds like he messed up a seal, or maybe thought the whole thing had to be bathed in oil?

Options20002001 said:
I checked the other three wheels and they seemed to be O.K. What other things I should be checking for as my confidence in this guy is pretty shaky right now?Options

Your truck has a full floating rear axle...but the rear bearings do not run in diff oil, they are encased outside of a seal and are greased. Your tech may have slid the axle out and just saw the oil and figured they ran in oil. They don't.

Even for a basic repack, your tech should have replaced both the inner axle seal (available aftermarket if you prefer) and the inner hub seal (don't let him tell you the aftermarket hub seal is the same as the Toyota seal, its not.) He also needs a dealer-only outer axle flange gasket and a special three-pronged tool for removing and resetting the hub lock and the hub preload.

Last edited:
elmariachi said:
..a special three-pronged tool for removing and resetting the hub lock and the hub preload.

Thanks.

What is this special tool...this is for my education. What is a "hub preload"? Main reason I am asking these questions is that I want to watch him do it this time, if possible.

Jim,
Do you have a recommendion for a shop (reasonable and good) in Houston area for a birf repack? I would also like to buy your "front axle service" DVD...again for my eductaion. You can send me an email if you prefer.

Once again thanks for help.

Options

Options20002001 said:
Thanks.

What is this special tool...this is for my education. What is a "hub preload"? Main reason I am asking these questions is that I want to watch him do it this time, if possible.

Jim,
Do you have a recommendion for a shop (reasonable and good) in Houston area for a birf repack? I would also like to buy your "front axle service" DVD...again for my eductaion. You can send me an email if you prefer.

Once again thanks for help.

Options

OP, welcome to the forum....the special tool has 3 prongs spaced 120 degs. apart that fit into 3 holes in the locking ring. The locking ring puts pressure against the lock nut plate which rides against the race on the bearing. Anyway, this "preload" is nothing more than the amount of pressure put against the bearing which results in how hard or easy it is to turn the hub (in layman's terms). It could actually be done using a punch (against the raised portions of the locknut) but it would be difficult to fine tune it that way.

Jims DVD on the Birf. repack is a very good guide and it along with a FSM is all that is needed (besides tools) if you wanted to do the job yourself.

Last edited:
Options20002001 said:

I just PM'd you.

Jim

It happens every time I pull a rear axle. I have to replace the seal, or soon enough it will leak. Everything's laid out in the service manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom