Real Time: pulling EGR pipe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you ever heard the term "NEED MORE PIPE"!

LOL

When you get totally frustrated, just hammer you old one so the flange is flat. Weld it up and put it back on. Use the biggest flat washers you can get inside the lip.

Hopefully it'll holdup better than the kevalar gasket.

My bet is you will be disappointed. I've replaced mine a bunch of times and can do it in less than 30 minutes.

Seems like the real culprit in the never ending cycle of burn t EGR gaskets is the thin flange. Would it be very hard to have a machine shop fab a heavy duty flange and weld it into place on your original pipe? What would work, 1/4" - 3/8" mild steel?

The SOR stainless has a 3/8" thick flange.

I connected it on the exhaust side. When I went to put it into the cooler, it didn't reach. Didn't know how to connect it with the nut and ferrule if it doesn't go inside the cooler.

P3220033_sm.jpg
:eek: :whoops:
holy cow thats really short

how much that cost at sor:confused:

i think they are sixty bucks at toyota at least my parts guy gets me that deal or ninety bucks whatever should be the same price as cruiserdan
that sucks that your flange is bent
when mine was bent i never could get it to seat right ever again
if you ever do get a new one just remember not to tighten to much because that will cause it to bend unless its that new thick one from sor that aint long enough:doh:

SOR says that fj60's also need an EGR inlet ferrel and an EGR fitting if replacing the EGR pipe. I assume my old will work with this pipe however and that I don't really need to order them unless I'm replacing them right?

I just made a blockoff plate out of 1/4" steel. It is worth using the OEM gasket. its like 3 times thicker than that crap aftermarket one SOR sells.

Every 2 years when I need to pass emissions i put the egr junk back on, but only long enough to take the test....

SOR says that fj60's also need an EGR inlet ferrel and an EGR fitting if replacing the EGR pipe. I assume my old will work with this pipe however and that I don't really need to order them unless I'm replacing them right?

The inlet ferrule is usually damaged when you take out the pipe. Get the OEM gasket. If you haven't see this thread it might be helpful -

Notes on EGR pipe replacement

Thats a great write up thank you. I figured on not needing a new 36mm nut since mine hase been on and off several times in the last two years to replace the burnt out EGR gaskets. But I also didn't order a new ferrule so I might have to get one of those, hopefully not though.

As for that plate, my shop figured out an even easier way to get around it... bend it out of the way! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom