Real time help needed! Overheated? Electrical issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Real time advice needed! I’m pulled over on 287 south of Laramie heading to Colorado in my BJ74. Suddenly my temp gauge spiked, but it did it along with my fuel gauge. I do hear bubbling from under the hood.... I don’t know. Truck was running perfectly fine, it couldn’t have been like this for more than a minute or two.

I don’t have tools with me the truck has been running Ike a dream and I left them in Colorado. Any advice? Are the fuel and temp gauges linked? AAA time? Let it sit and fire it up? My cell is 323-547-5823, soot me a text if you have advice and can connect.

627FEBF6-D44D-4861-AB77-AEE8101AE3D6.jpeg

Like already mentioned in the Facebook page, most likely a Electrical issue, probably a ground issue. My 85 HJ75 did the same thing when I first got it but sometime later it quit doing that. I did get the alternator rebuilt shortly after getting it home and haven’t noticed it anymore, but I can’t remember exactly when it stopped doing that. If you can’t get a new radiator cap just as something easy to change, monitor the over flow bottle see if you are loosing any coolant in it to see if you have any overheating issues. But usually if two or more gauges are acting up then it is something electrical.

My 75 Series would do the exact same thing. If I remember correctly it was simply a “grounding“ issue.
Anywhere from :30 seconds to one minute later the gauges would return to normal. The engine was NEVER overheating. 😊
For peace of mind, I simply added a high quality aftermarket water temp gauge.

Last edited:
First off check for fan belts, need these to turn the water pump and alternator.
Water pump is a must.
You can go far without the alt. If you shut off all non essential electrical.

Good luck, sounds like the normal grounding issue. I’m in northern Colorado along with a few other but I’m out of town this weekend so not much help.

Hey everyone, UPDATE:

Truck is fine. @gilmorneau texted me the diagram last night and after looking at the wiring diagram it’s definitely an electrical issue. If I’m correct, I used the shared ground to ground a preamp for my stereo and I’ll need to check it. Seeing the temp gauge pegged climbing mountain grades while trying to beat a snow storm home really freaked me out! I thought I was toast. I also discovered it’s time to replace my radiator cap. After I let it cool down I removed and reinstalled the cap rotated 180* and the gurgling stopped, need a new cap.

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate this community!

Real time advice needed! I’m pulled over on 287 south of Laramie heading to Colorado in my BJ74. Suddenly my temp gauge spiked, but it did it along with my fuel gauge. I do hear bubbling from under the hood.... I don’t know. Truck was running perfectly fine, it couldn’t have been like this for more than a minute or two.

I don’t have tools with me the truck has been running Ike a dream and I left them in Colorado. Any advice? Are the fuel and temp gauges linked? AAA time? Let it sit and fire it up? My cell is 323-547-5823, soot me a text if you have advice and can connect.

View attachment 2475289
Man I feel sorry for you. You know if I ever do rebuild my Land Cruiser I would have an absolute complete set tools in the vehicle including a spare alternator spare water pump repair starter spare fuel pump. These parts are hard to find and that's why it's almost necessary to have these spare parts in the vehicle. Check your radiator make sure the water is full. Do you have any water with you do you have any hoses? Do you have any water pump?

Man I feel sorry for you. You know if I ever do rebuild my Land Cruiser I would have an absolute complete set tools in the vehicle including a spare alternator spare water pump repair starter spare fuel pump. These parts are hard to find and that's why it's almost necessary to have these spare parts in the vehicle. Check your radiator make sure the water is full. Do you have any water with you do you have any hoses? Do you have any water pump?
Whoa that was a long time ago now. Nope, was just an electrical short. Scared the s*** out of me though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom