real time help needed, IAC valve

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by cruiserman, Jul 7, 2005.

1. cruiserman

cruiserman

I'm doing the o-ring deal with the IAC valve to get the startup idle down somewhat. I'm having trouble figuring out the order of the parts on the motor. Does the spring go between the small bearing and the housing, or does it go between the bearing and the magnet on the valve?

Pic in the order I think it goes:
    IACshaft2.jpg

2. cruiserman

cruiserman

It was getting late, so I just put it back together as shown. It appears to work fine.

Hints for this job:
    If you bugger one or both of the bolts as I did, you'll need to pull the throttle body. In case it isn't obvious, put the cables on before installing the TB. Home Depot sells replacement bolts in the correct size. They have blue loctite, too.

3. Lars

Lars

Cant help because I never made it that far when I tried this fix.

I do have a question though, how did you get that bastard off? The screws are on very tight and I didnt want to strip them so I abondoned the o-ring fix. I tried using an impact driver on the screws but there just wasnt enough room.

4. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

When I started to bugger one of the screw up on mine, I waited until I had the throttle body off, and then used a #3 phillips attachment on a 3/8" IR impact gun. Worked great.

I believe you got it right, c-man. It has been a few months since I had mine apart.

5. cruiserman

cruiserman

I was able to get the upper bolt off easily. I used vicegrips on the lower one with the TB on the bench. There was just enough room to get them on the bolt, and it turned off. I was going to drill it out, but luckily didn't have to.

eric

6. cruiserman

cruiserman

I used 3 o-rings to get the startup RPM to between 1200 and 1400.

7. cruiserman

cruiserman

Last follow up. I was not able to get the o-rings to work after the first start. They would compress and ride up on the end of the plastic shaft. I ended up machining a washer to fit on the shaft within the spring. No o-rings. Cold startup is ~1300RPM, and quickly drops. No rattle.

8. mrsalty

mrsalty

OK, I'll bite (as I simply gave up on mine also). How many people have gotten the screws out WITHOUT pulling the TB

Chris

94FZJ80 135K 2.5OME 285 Cooper ATR Pin 7 CDL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.